Stan Van Gundy, Eric Spoelstra fire back at Phil Jackson

Nov 24, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT

Image (1) jackson.jpg for post 2306

Phil Jackson just loves doing what he did to the Heat yesterday, going on the radio in Chicago and lobbing a verbal hand grenade into their midst. As if they weren’t dealing with enough, now they can answer some questions about Pat Riley coming down from on high to take over the team.

Stan Van Gundy fired back on Wednesday, calling Jackson’s comments “ignorant” according to Hoopsworld.

“Well first of all, obviously Phil has no idea what the ‘Van Gundy situation’ was. Even though he coaches in our league, he certainly had no inside knowledge of that so any analogy he would make to my situation would be totally useless because he doesn’t have any clue what the situation was in that case,” Van Gundy said…

“First of all, to second guess another coach and to comment on a situation he knew nothing about is inappropriate and it’s also ignorant. I don’t mean that commenting on Phil’s intelligence; he’s obviously a very smart guy. I mean that as ignorant because he doesn’t know what that situation was and he doesn’t know what the situation in Miami is now. I don’t think, unless their relationship has changed drastically, that he and Pat talk on a regular basis so I doubt he would have any information whatsoever on what’s going on in Miami,” Van Gundy said.

What did Eric Spoelstra tell our own Ira Winderman (via twitter) about the possibility of him being forced out to “spend more time with his family?”

“First of all, I’m single, OK, so I don’t think I’ll be taking a leave from my team to spend time with my family”

1. silk32 - Nov 24, 2010 at 2:02 PM

VIDEO: Think Phil’s arrogant? This guy attacked my travel team in NYC with the “freestyle from hell” >> http://clicky.me/MadRapper . . . Van Gundy should have had him clap back at Jackson instead.

2. amitko - Nov 24, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Hello Kurt,

I don’t see how Erik Spoelstra’s comment could be construed as him “firing back” at Phil. He didn’t even mention the guy’s name. Is there more to the story than what you included in your article above ? Thanks

• mustbenugs - Nov 24, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Cry more plz? If you could do Kurts job better how about you open up your own website. Oh wait, that’d take knowing the game, and knowing the right people, which I can guess you DON’T!

3. kansachusetts - Nov 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM

What gets me is that Van Gundy used the expression “first of all” twice, to lead into two different points. There can be only one first. A coach should know that.

4. ericreives - Nov 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I see that Stan Van Gundy, Wade, and Spoelstra took the bait. Lol.

5. lebronsinsecurity - Nov 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Regardless of how anyone feels about Phil Jackson, his unorthodox methods work.. The fact that Van Gundy felt the need to reply just validates what Phil does.. If his comments were so “ignorant” as Van Gundy puts it, why the h*ll would he reply to such ignorant comments?? If your above the situation, you should never feel the need to respond to critics..

6. downtowndanny - Nov 25, 2010 at 3:24 AM

the best coach in the history of the NBA only said what everybody has been saying since day one. when Van Stumbly actually wins something then and only then will his input be valued. Spoelstra should take a front office job and let the old Irish guy do his thing. Here’s a hint to whats missing in south beach ……….an actual point guard, wow I know, what a revelation! imagine Rondo down there, even with a skeleton crew they’d be 11-2 right now, but like I said before karma is a mutha@#$^^&

7. tubal22 - Nov 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

This was calculated. Jackson is a douchebag and all, but he knows what he’s doing.

There’s the offense, the defense, and the mental game.

Most coaches deal with offense and defense. Jackson also deals with the mental game. He does this because he knows it will help him win when these teams play.

8. davidly - Nov 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

You think Riley isn’t gonna replace his coach? Fine.

But, if he’d wanted to, or if and when he suddenly decides he wants to, Jackson just made it sillier for him to take the reins himself.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches