Nov 23, 2010, 12:02 PM EDT
The Miami Heat needed to cut somebody loose to bring in Erick Dampier — and they need to bring in Dampier — the only question was who?
That according to a tweet from Chris Broussard at ESPN (something other sources have confirmed now). It also makes sense, even though other names (Dexter Pittman and Jamaal Magloire) were bandied about as more likely
The veteran swingman was brought in when Mike Miller went out with a thumb injury but he got in to just seven games, 50 minutes total, and shot 25 percent. He didn’t fill the need, Eddie House is in that role as gunner off the bench.
Dampier comes in to fill the need in the middle and on defense with Udonis Haslem out for months. That need was exposed last night as the Indiana Pacers were able to get into the lane and finish with impunity against lazy Heat defensive rotations.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 32
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 27
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3