Nov 23, 2010, 12:02 PM EST
The Miami Heat needed to cut somebody loose to bring in Erick Dampier — and they need to bring in Dampier — the only question was who?
That according to a tweet from Chris Broussard at ESPN (something other sources have confirmed now). It also makes sense, even though other names (Dexter Pittman and Jamaal Magloire) were bandied about as more likely
The veteran swingman was brought in when Mike Miller went out with a thumb injury but he got in to just seven games, 50 minutes total, and shot 25 percent. He didn’t fill the need, Eddie House is in that role as gunner off the bench.
Dampier comes in to fill the need in the middle and on defense with Udonis Haslem out for months. That need was exposed last night as the Indiana Pacers were able to get into the lane and finish with impunity against lazy Heat defensive rotations.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 0
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18