Nov 23, 2010, 8:33 PM EDT
The new owners of the Golden State Warriors have not been subtle about where they left their heart — they have talked openly about loving San Francisco. They’ve started flirting with The City.
As Arena Digest points out, the first big media event that Peter Guber and Joseph Lacob held was in a San Francisco restaurant, and they were not shy about saying they were open to a move across the bay. Nor should they be — that would mean a new stadium (hello revenue!) and a move into one of the wealthiest markets in the nation.
No shock — this all isn’t sitting well in Oakland. One Mercury News columnist went over the top and said they should change the name to the “Oakland Warriors” if they were committed to the team.
But the Warriors have always been the Bay Area’s team. Unlike in the NFL, there were no lines drawn between two teams. The name is Golden State and fans come from all over the Bay Area — even Dublin — to support the Warriors.
That would not change with a move to San Francisco. But don’t expect some in Oakland who think they can use this to their advantage to let that happen quietly.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 1
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 9
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings