Nov 23, 2010, 10:13 AM EDT
While the entire league is enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at the Miami Heat’s expense Tuesday morning, Jarrett Jack — the newest member of the Hornets — was warning that the slow start in South Beach could be viewed as a cautionary tale by players.
After the Miami Heat formed Voltron this summer, there was a lot of buzz about other players wanting to form their own big three. Chris Paul started pushing for the Hornets to, um, win or get off the pot (so to speak) while toasting dreams of being in New York and hanging with guys named Amar’e and Carmelo.
But now, players are looking at the Heat, looking at the Lakers and having second thoughts, as Jack explained to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
“I don’t know if (Paul) is (wanting to stay with the Hornets long-term), but you can look at the experiment out in Miami and see how that’s going,” said Jack, whose family has been close with Paul’s since they were 13 years old and who is described by his new teammate as “like a brother.”
“You’ve got people saying that (Paul) is going to New York for sure or whatever (because of this summertime subplot), but from what I understand I heard (the Heat) got blown out tonight, you know what I mean?
“When you have three max (contract) guys (in James, Wade and Bosh), and you’re not able to sign other people those glue role players that make a championship team. Those Matt Barnes type dudes or Ron Artests or Shannon Browns (of the two-time defending champion Lakers), because all your money is devoted to three people. I think if we all find a situation where nothing else matters but winning, then we’ll be good.”
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 0
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 5
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 30
- Report: One Trail Blazers player gives LaMarcus Aldridge just 50-50 chance of re-signing 9
- Clippers put on offensive showcase, take Game 1 vs. Spurs 10