Nov 23, 2010, 10:13 AM EDT
While the entire league is enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at the Miami Heat’s expense Tuesday morning, Jarrett Jack — the newest member of the Hornets — was warning that the slow start in South Beach could be viewed as a cautionary tale by players.
After the Miami Heat formed Voltron this summer, there was a lot of buzz about other players wanting to form their own big three. Chris Paul started pushing for the Hornets to, um, win or get off the pot (so to speak) while toasting dreams of being in New York and hanging with guys named Amar’e and Carmelo.
But now, players are looking at the Heat, looking at the Lakers and having second thoughts, as Jack explained to Sam Amick at FanHouse.
“I don’t know if (Paul) is (wanting to stay with the Hornets long-term), but you can look at the experiment out in Miami and see how that’s going,” said Jack, whose family has been close with Paul’s since they were 13 years old and who is described by his new teammate as “like a brother.”
“You’ve got people saying that (Paul) is going to New York for sure or whatever (because of this summertime subplot), but from what I understand I heard (the Heat) got blown out tonight, you know what I mean?
“When you have three max (contract) guys (in James, Wade and Bosh), and you’re not able to sign other people those glue role players that make a championship team. Those Matt Barnes type dudes or Ron Artests or Shannon Browns (of the two-time defending champion Lakers), because all your money is devoted to three people. I think if we all find a situation where nothing else matters but winning, then we’ll be good.”
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37