Nov 22, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
UPDATE 2:06 pm: The parents of the two-year-old boy had been taking pictures of him, then were looking at the digital pictures and lost track of the boy for a second when he crawled over the railing and fell 50 feet to his death, according to the Los Angeles Police department, as told to the Los Angeles Times.
Our deepest sympathies go out to the parents of Lucas Anthony Tang. The LAPD continues to investigate the case.
9:26 am: Just after the Lakers finished blowing out the Golden State Warriors at Staples center, a tragedy took place inside the arena.
A young boy, believed to be between 2 or 3 years old, fell out of the top row of luxury suites down about 50 feet into the lower bowl of seats in the arena. He was rushed to nearby USC Medical Center but died from his injuries, according to the Associated Press.
Like most modern NBA arenas, Staples has a lower bowl of seats with a ring of luxury suites on top of those, at Staples there are three layers or rows of suites. Then on top of that is much more seating.
The boy fell out of the top row of suites and that fall would be about 40 or 50 feet down to the seats.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 11
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9