Nov 22, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
UPDATE 2:06 pm: The parents of the two-year-old boy had been taking pictures of him, then were looking at the digital pictures and lost track of the boy for a second when he crawled over the railing and fell 50 feet to his death, according to the Los Angeles Police department, as told to the Los Angeles Times.
Our deepest sympathies go out to the parents of Lucas Anthony Tang. The LAPD continues to investigate the case.
9:26 am: Just after the Lakers finished blowing out the Golden State Warriors at Staples center, a tragedy took place inside the arena.
A young boy, believed to be between 2 or 3 years old, fell out of the top row of luxury suites down about 50 feet into the lower bowl of seats in the arena. He was rushed to nearby USC Medical Center but died from his injuries, according to the Associated Press.
Like most modern NBA arenas, Staples has a lower bowl of seats with a ring of luxury suites on top of those, at Staples there are three layers or rows of suites. Then on top of that is much more seating.
The boy fell out of the top row of suites and that fall would be about 40 or 50 feet down to the seats.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 17
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6