Nov 22, 2010, 7:26 PM EDT
Often, guys have record years when they are playing for a new contract (or at least they are more aggressive and take more shots, so their point total goes up).
It is having the opposite impact on Jamal Crawford.
Cawford this season has not been the same guy who won the Sixth Man of the Year award going away last season. His shooting percentage has dropped from 45 percent to 41 percent, and on three balls from 38 percent to 30 percent. He is rebounding less, turning the ball over more, his PER dropped from an All-Star level 18.4 down to a below average 13.9. He’s not the same.
When asked why he gave a very interesting answer to FanHouse — he’s distracted by not having a contract extension.
“I’m overthinking,” Crawford said in an interview with FanHouse before Monday’s home game against Boston. “I think with everything going on, I’m just thinking too much and not just playing basketball. … I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t crossed my mind, you know, the future. … Everything’s been a little bit of a distraction.”
Crawford had pushed for a contract extension before, like a lot of guys have going into this CBA, but the lack of one seems to have him unsettled now. It hasn’t impacted the Hawks too much so far, but if they are going to take the steps forward management wants from them Crawford is going to have to be a part of that because he is playing better. And that kind of play might get him the contract he wants.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50