Nov 22, 2010, 7:26 PM EST
Often, guys have record years when they are playing for a new contract (or at least they are more aggressive and take more shots, so their point total goes up).
It is having the opposite impact on Jamal Crawford.
Cawford this season has not been the same guy who won the Sixth Man of the Year award going away last season. His shooting percentage has dropped from 45 percent to 41 percent, and on three balls from 38 percent to 30 percent. He is rebounding less, turning the ball over more, his PER dropped from an All-Star level 18.4 down to a below average 13.9. He’s not the same.
When asked why he gave a very interesting answer to FanHouse — he’s distracted by not having a contract extension.
“I’m overthinking,” Crawford said in an interview with FanHouse before Monday’s home game against Boston. “I think with everything going on, I’m just thinking too much and not just playing basketball. … I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t crossed my mind, you know, the future. … Everything’s been a little bit of a distraction.”
Crawford had pushed for a contract extension before, like a lot of guys have going into this CBA, but the lack of one seems to have him unsettled now. It hasn’t impacted the Hawks too much so far, but if they are going to take the steps forward management wants from them Crawford is going to have to be a part of that because he is playing better. And that kind of play might get him the contract he wants.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)