Nov 22, 2010, 7:26 PM EDT
Often, guys have record years when they are playing for a new contract (or at least they are more aggressive and take more shots, so their point total goes up).
It is having the opposite impact on Jamal Crawford.
Cawford this season has not been the same guy who won the Sixth Man of the Year award going away last season. His shooting percentage has dropped from 45 percent to 41 percent, and on three balls from 38 percent to 30 percent. He is rebounding less, turning the ball over more, his PER dropped from an All-Star level 18.4 down to a below average 13.9. He’s not the same.
When asked why he gave a very interesting answer to FanHouse — he’s distracted by not having a contract extension.
“I’m overthinking,” Crawford said in an interview with FanHouse before Monday’s home game against Boston. “I think with everything going on, I’m just thinking too much and not just playing basketball. … I’d be lying if I said it hasn’t crossed my mind, you know, the future. … Everything’s been a little bit of a distraction.”
Crawford had pushed for a contract extension before, like a lot of guys have going into this CBA, but the lack of one seems to have him unsettled now. It hasn’t impacted the Hawks too much so far, but if they are going to take the steps forward management wants from them Crawford is going to have to be a part of that because he is playing better. And that kind of play might get him the contract he wants.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP