Nov 22, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT
Remember when Chauncey Billups was brought in to Denver, a change at the point as the shoot-first Allen Iverson went to Detroit?
That move changed who the Nuggets were, it brought a seriousness and professionalism to their identity. That is when they became a threat in the West.
Billups likes it in Denver, but he knows he is not getting an extension of his deal that ends after this season, with him making $14.2 million. He knows if Carmelo Anthony is traded he likely will be (and teams have called about him).
Billups told the Denver Post he wishes all that was different because he would prefer to stay in the Mile High city.
“Sure, absolutely. I never want to leave here again. I want to be a Nugget for the rest of my career, whether that’s four, five years, whatever. They know that.
“But I also know the business of basketball. Nothing really surprises me in this game. People talk about Carmelo (Anthony), the possibility of me being moved, the J.R. (Smith) situation — there are a lot of uncertainties around here. I don’t like being part of the uncertainty. But that’s what it is, that’s the nature of the beast. I’ve been down the road….
“I know how this business goes. I respect the process. At the same time, I know what I’ve done to change the culture around here. I’m not a me-me guy, but I know the position of the state of the franchise before I got here. I hope that doesn’t go unappreciated.”
If nothing else, that should never go unappreciated.
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 1
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 1
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 14
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10