Nov 21, 2010, 10:43 PM EDT
UPDATE 10:43 pm: The recovery time on this is a lot worse than we first thought — depending on the surgery or other options, Haslem could be out until the All-Star break in February, if not longer.
If you want an idea of how this impacts the Heat: Memphis outrebounded the Heat 16-5 after Haslem left the game Saturday, according to John Schuhman of NBA.com.
9:26 pm: Udonis Haslem — the Miami Heat’s best rebounder and a stabilizing influence on defense — may well be out for at least a month, more likely six weeks or longer.
MRI results on Haslem’s left foot came back Sunday and showed a torn ligament, according to Brian Windhorst at ESPN. He injured the foot Saturday night in a loss to Memphis.
The team is having Haslem see a specialist before announcing a treatment plan and saying how long he will be out. However, this kind of injury generally keeps people out at least a month, more usually six-to-eight weeks.
The Heat will miss Haslem’s presence off the bench inside. He’s averaged eight points and eight boards a game, but generally has been more important as a steadying influence. The Heat’s already questionable depth may be more exposed during Haslem’s lengthy absence.
An MRI on Dwyane Wade’s sore wrist showed it just to be sprained. He sat out the loss to Memphis and may sit out Monday against Indiana as well.
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (82)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'