Nov 21, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
The Pacers aren’t bad this year. They’re 5-6, Roy Hibbert looks better every day, the young talent is meshing and things are looking up. With a solid trade the Pacers could make a significant move forward. Not that there are a lot of possibilities for such a trade, but don’t be expecting one anyway. From the Hoopsworld:
“We like our team right now,” Morway said before his team’s tough home loss to the Orlando Magic on Saturday night. “We like the combination next year of our young players and our veteran players. We like the chemistry in our locker room and what we’re building here, so we’re not actively pursuing any trades right now.”
That doesn’t mean, however, that Morway and team president Larry Bird have shut their ears to offers from other teams—just that when it comes to rebuilding, this team feels like it’s close, and the guys in charge don’t want to do anything rash to mess that up.
“We feel like we’re getting closer. We certainly think we have taken some big steps and are now in a position where we’ve got a young core of players that we can move forward with. We’re going to have a lot of flexibility to add to the basketball team, so we think we’re in a very good position.”
Makes sense. You want to see how your guys come together. You’ve got time before the trade deadline in case things fall apart, or if you get much better and want to try and make a move. Better to not do anything rash.
The question is what you’re specifically trying to accomplish. You’ve got to set hard boundaries and not just go with “Let’s see how this goes.” Whether it’s Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, and A.J. Price coming along, or a number of wins or efficiency marks, you’ve got to have some parameters to keep yourself from just drifting in the wind. And, as they say in the article, keep your options open if someone comes calling.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 14
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32