Nov 20, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
There’s little doubt to anyone who the greatest San Antonio Spur of all time is. Most championships, most Finals appearances, most MVPs, most Finals MVPs, the list goes on an on. And now Tim Duncan can add two more franchise records to his list, most games played and most points scored as a Spur. Duncan eclipsed David Robinson on both counts Friday night in the Spurs’ 94-82 win Friday night over the Jazz.
Duncan, in typical understated Duncan fashion, took the record at the free throw line, knocking down a pair of freebies quietly to take the title.
It’s another in a career beset with milestones on his way eventually to the Hall of Fame, and his consistency is at one something to marvel at and admire. He hasn’t jumped teams, hasn’t sought out nicer locales to play with buddies (in spite of a brief flirting with Orlando a few years back). He’s been a Spur his entire career, and given that he’s made it pretty clear he has no intention of hanging on once time robs him of his skills, it’s very likely he’ll retire a Spur. He’ll go out with a huge lead in games, points, possibly field goals, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, blocks, and points.
That’s how you define yourself as a team’s icon. Enjoy Duncan while he’s here; he truly is a once-in-a-lifetime talent.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 26
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 29
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30