Nov 20, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT
Steve Kerr’s reign as general manager in Phoenix receives a big fat “I” for “Incomplete.” He orchestrated one of the worst trades of the year in 2008 when he acquired Shaquille O’Neal for the run-and-gun Suns, and chose a horrific coach in Terry Porter. But after that, he acquired smart, high-energy guys who worked hard for the coach Kerr then invested in, Alvin Gentry. He helped the Suns reach the Western Conference Finals and even put up a fight against the Lakers for a bit. Then, naturally, Robert Sarver started clutching his purse strings too tight and Kerr showed himself out.
Now, he’s got a much easier life as a commentator on TNT. But he could be headed back to the front office, this time for Golden State.
NBA FanHouse’s Sam Amick reports that new Warriors owner Joe Lacob is “enamored” with Kerr and would love to have him join the staff. Current GM Larry Riley is expected to see a diminished role, even as Lacob has said he won’t remove him all together. Kerr might find the locale to his liking, having lived in San Diego. It gives him a young team, one that operates at a fast pace like the Suns did and could use his experience. It could be a good fit, but only if Kerr wants to jump back in the fire again.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat force Game 7
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'