Nov 20, 2010, 10:51 AM EST
A report popped up this morning on a Euro site via HoopsHype describing a trade between the New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors. Now ESPN is reporting the same: The New Orleans Hornets are very close to trading Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless to the Toronto Raptors for Jarrett Jack, David Andersen, and Marcus Banks.
The trade makes little to no sense for either side. Stojakovic’s $14.25 million gold mine of a contract could be moved at the deadline for a substantial set of assets, far beyond a player who splits time with Jose Calderon, a center that was discarded from center-light (at the time) Houston, and Marcus Banks. Bayless himself is a dynamic young talent that can run either guard position, hit from the outside, run the break, and attack the rim with reckless abandon. That’s two good if not great wing players being shelved off for a solid backup point guard when you have Chris Paul, Marcus Banks who is Marcus Banks, and a center that looks like he would belong more in Stillwater.
There may be other assets tied to this deal, including part of the massive trade exception the Raptors received in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade this summer. That would make it slightly more attractive for New Orleans. This also could be tied to the ongoing drama regarding the protracted sale of the Hornets. Dropping some hefty assets could help move the deal along, but that’s just conjecture in a very complicated subject.
ESPN reports the deal is currently held up over the amount of cash the Raptors want in the deal. We’ll let you know if it goes through.
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 2
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 9
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 11
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49