Nov 20, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
A report popped up this morning on a Euro site via HoopsHype describing a trade between the New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors. Now ESPN is reporting the same: The New Orleans Hornets are very close to trading Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless to the Toronto Raptors for Jarrett Jack, David Andersen, and Marcus Banks.
The trade makes little to no sense for either side. Stojakovic’s $14.25 million gold mine of a contract could be moved at the deadline for a substantial set of assets, far beyond a player who splits time with Jose Calderon, a center that was discarded from center-light (at the time) Houston, and Marcus Banks. Bayless himself is a dynamic young talent that can run either guard position, hit from the outside, run the break, and attack the rim with reckless abandon. That’s two good if not great wing players being shelved off for a solid backup point guard when you have Chris Paul, Marcus Banks who is Marcus Banks, and a center that looks like he would belong more in Stillwater.
There may be other assets tied to this deal, including part of the massive trade exception the Raptors received in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade this summer. That would make it slightly more attractive for New Orleans. This also could be tied to the ongoing drama regarding the protracted sale of the Hornets. Dropping some hefty assets could help move the deal along, but that’s just conjecture in a very complicated subject.
ESPN reports the deal is currently held up over the amount of cash the Raptors want in the deal. We’ll let you know if it goes through.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 4
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 7
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 11
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 4
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 37
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1