Nov 20, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Phil Jackson discussed the Pistons this week after the Lakers waxed them with ease, saying that “some of those guys aren’t playing hard right now.” Nothing particularly groundbreaking, considering that the Pistons are a talented team who currently sucks. The interesting part is that Friday, Ben Gordon pretty much said “Yeah, that’s pretty much what happened.” Which is both funny and sad.
“Yeah, when you get beat by that much and if you get down by that kind of deficit,” Ben Gordon said after practice Friday. “It seemed like they got whatever they wanted.
“We allowed them to move the ball around the perimeter easily without much defensive effort, so that’s an accurate statement.”
Oh, okay, then, Ben. Thanks for the heads up on that. Maybe next time you can let the fans know that’s going to be the case before they go to the arena to watch you play with their hard-earned money.
Now, Gordon isn’t talking about himself, and he shouldn’t. Until this week, he was in the 50-40-90 club (50% on FG, 40% from 3-point, 90% from the stripe). He’s been better than last year, if still not the guy the Pistons spent all that money on. But it still says something that this team which is fighting with its coach, which is losing constantly, is starting to admit it’s not giving everything.
It says John Kuester needs to make sure those references on the resume are really good.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9