Nov 20, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Phil Jackson discussed the Pistons this week after the Lakers waxed them with ease, saying that “some of those guys aren’t playing hard right now.” Nothing particularly groundbreaking, considering that the Pistons are a talented team who currently sucks. The interesting part is that Friday, Ben Gordon pretty much said “Yeah, that’s pretty much what happened.” Which is both funny and sad.
“Yeah, when you get beat by that much and if you get down by that kind of deficit,” Ben Gordon said after practice Friday. “It seemed like they got whatever they wanted.
“We allowed them to move the ball around the perimeter easily without much defensive effort, so that’s an accurate statement.”
Oh, okay, then, Ben. Thanks for the heads up on that. Maybe next time you can let the fans know that’s going to be the case before they go to the arena to watch you play with their hard-earned money.
Now, Gordon isn’t talking about himself, and he shouldn’t. Until this week, he was in the 50-40-90 club (50% on FG, 40% from 3-point, 90% from the stripe). He’s been better than last year, if still not the guy the Pistons spent all that money on. But it still says something that this team which is fighting with its coach, which is losing constantly, is starting to admit it’s not giving everything.
It says John Kuester needs to make sure those references on the resume are really good.
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 4
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 0
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 23
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13