Nov 20, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
Phil Jackson discussed the Pistons this week after the Lakers waxed them with ease, saying that “some of those guys aren’t playing hard right now.” Nothing particularly groundbreaking, considering that the Pistons are a talented team who currently sucks. The interesting part is that Friday, Ben Gordon pretty much said “Yeah, that’s pretty much what happened.” Which is both funny and sad.
“Yeah, when you get beat by that much and if you get down by that kind of deficit,” Ben Gordon said after practice Friday. “It seemed like they got whatever they wanted.
“We allowed them to move the ball around the perimeter easily without much defensive effort, so that’s an accurate statement.”
Oh, okay, then, Ben. Thanks for the heads up on that. Maybe next time you can let the fans know that’s going to be the case before they go to the arena to watch you play with their hard-earned money.
Now, Gordon isn’t talking about himself, and he shouldn’t. Until this week, he was in the 50-40-90 club (50% on FG, 40% from 3-point, 90% from the stripe). He’s been better than last year, if still not the guy the Pistons spent all that money on. But it still says something that this team which is fighting with its coach, which is losing constantly, is starting to admit it’s not giving everything.
It says John Kuester needs to make sure those references on the resume are really good.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 3
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11