Nov 20, 2010, 3:21 PM EST
Well it’s done, as every major outlet has confirmed the deal is done. The Toronto Raptors will send Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks, and David Andersen to the Hornets for Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless from the Hornets.
For some reason which is just escaping me at the moment, everyone’s saying the Hornets “won” this trade. For starters, looking at trades in terms of winners and losers is a bit ridiculous, since every move is made within the context of a bigger plan. Secondly, the Hornets have in essence traded a first round pick, the highly valuable expiring contract of Peja Stojakovic, and two available roster spots plus cash for Jarrett Jack. Jack, who has been a fundamental part of the worst defensive team in the NBA and who is paid $15 million over the next three years as a 20-minutes per game backup.
Yeah, that sounds like they got good value.
Not that the Raptors made out like bandits in this either. Even with Peja’s expiring, they now have such huge tradeable assets (Peja’s expiring, the trade exception from Chris Bosh), that they’ll have a hard time getting good value on them. Bayless is a tremendous potential player, but hasn’t been that guy yet. It’s going to take a lot of work to get him where he needs to go, and Jay Triano hasn’t really shown that ability.
What’s the big win here? That the Hornets get a guy who “fits” and who CP3 likes? Couldn’t they have gotten a little more with a huge expiring contract in a CBA downturn year and a talented two-guard with lightning fast speed? Apparently not, but everything else has worked out for New Orleans so far so why start doubting this regime now?t
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Cavaliers shouldn’t hit panic button, may want to locate it 0
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 2
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 22
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12