Nov 20, 2010, 3:21 PM EDT
Well it’s done, as every major outlet has confirmed the deal is done. The Toronto Raptors will send Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks, and David Andersen to the Hornets for Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless from the Hornets.
For some reason which is just escaping me at the moment, everyone’s saying the Hornets “won” this trade. For starters, looking at trades in terms of winners and losers is a bit ridiculous, since every move is made within the context of a bigger plan. Secondly, the Hornets have in essence traded a first round pick, the highly valuable expiring contract of Peja Stojakovic, and two available roster spots plus cash for Jarrett Jack. Jack, who has been a fundamental part of the worst defensive team in the NBA and who is paid $15 million over the next three years as a 20-minutes per game backup.
Yeah, that sounds like they got good value.
Not that the Raptors made out like bandits in this either. Even with Peja’s expiring, they now have such huge tradeable assets (Peja’s expiring, the trade exception from Chris Bosh), that they’ll have a hard time getting good value on them. Bayless is a tremendous potential player, but hasn’t been that guy yet. It’s going to take a lot of work to get him where he needs to go, and Jay Triano hasn’t really shown that ability.
What’s the big win here? That the Hornets get a guy who “fits” and who CP3 likes? Couldn’t they have gotten a little more with a huge expiring contract in a CBA downturn year and a talented two-guard with lightning fast speed? Apparently not, but everything else has worked out for New Orleans so far so why start doubting this regime now?t
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 7
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings