Nov 20, 2010, 3:21 PM EDT
Well it’s done, as every major outlet has confirmed the deal is done. The Toronto Raptors will send Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks, and David Andersen to the Hornets for Peja Stojakovic and Jerryd Bayless from the Hornets.
For some reason which is just escaping me at the moment, everyone’s saying the Hornets “won” this trade. For starters, looking at trades in terms of winners and losers is a bit ridiculous, since every move is made within the context of a bigger plan. Secondly, the Hornets have in essence traded a first round pick, the highly valuable expiring contract of Peja Stojakovic, and two available roster spots plus cash for Jarrett Jack. Jack, who has been a fundamental part of the worst defensive team in the NBA and who is paid $15 million over the next three years as a 20-minutes per game backup.
Yeah, that sounds like they got good value.
Not that the Raptors made out like bandits in this either. Even with Peja’s expiring, they now have such huge tradeable assets (Peja’s expiring, the trade exception from Chris Bosh), that they’ll have a hard time getting good value on them. Bayless is a tremendous potential player, but hasn’t been that guy yet. It’s going to take a lot of work to get him where he needs to go, and Jay Triano hasn’t really shown that ability.
What’s the big win here? That the Hornets get a guy who “fits” and who CP3 likes? Couldn’t they have gotten a little more with a huge expiring contract in a CBA downturn year and a talented two-guard with lightning fast speed? Apparently not, but everything else has worked out for New Orleans so far so why start doubting this regime now?t
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61