Nov 20, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
There’s something bizarre with these Celtics. They have three losses, and two of them are to teams without or missing their superstar. First they lost to the Cavaliers, which is odd since they don’t have you-know-who anymore, after they beat you-know-who the night before. But it was a back-to-back so maybe it was just one of those things. They lost to the Mavericks in an acceptable, good loss. But last night they fell at home to the Oklahoma City Thunder who were without Jeff Green… and Kevin Durant.
You’ve basically got three theories here:
- The “Get-Up” Theory: The Celtics care so little about the regular season, keenly aware that they can sleepwalk through and still make the playoffs which is all they care about, that they fail to get up for games like this one. Without Durant, they simply can’t be bothered to execute and when you do that, you open the door for a young and hungry team to come in and take your cake and eat it. It also explains the Cavs loss, with an emotional letdown after besting the Heat the night before. Next test-case? Toronto on Sunday. If they fall to the Raps (which they won’t), the Hawks should consider keeping out Joe Johnson the following night.
- The Total Effort Theory: Teams without a superstar are more likely to share the ball. Without trying to force the ball to your go-to guy, who the Celtics will specifically design their efforts to stop, attacking the Celtics with a balanced effort of sharing the ball and making the right plays goes counter to what the Celtics do. The Celtics are so good defensively because they do attack your stars and leave you limbless. But if you’re hitting them with the body to start with instead of the hands, you’ve got a puncher’s chance.
- The “Just A Loss” Theory: Sometimes teams just lose games. It happens. No reason to look for a pattern in just three losses.
Regardless, it’s just weird that the teams Boston should obliterate the most are the teams who wind up besting them.
Apr 19, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Steph being Steph.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He said after the game he felt a pop in his knee. That’s bad.
Apr 19, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
A little smack talk in advance of Bucks vs. Bulls.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:45 AM EDT
Houston outscores Dallas by 14 in 10 minutes with Howard and Harden, get outscored by four otherwise in 118-108 win
Apr 18, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Wade has the ability to hit free agency, but is choosing to stay in Miami for at least one more season.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Rose finished with 23 points.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Leaked images are horrible.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:56 PM EDT
Brooks scored 10 points in his first shift.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Golden State, once up 25, escapes with 106-99 win
Apr 18, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The basketball was ugly, but this still may be a very competitive series.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
Pierce backed up his talk with plenty of action.
Apr 18, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
They’re still expected to play around 32 minutes each.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
Ujiri cusses at a playoff pep rally for the second straight year.
Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks
Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Brewer has been a key member of the rotation for the two-seeded Rockets.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Every playoff series is predicted.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
How do you feel about a lot of hack-a-Jordan for six or seven games?
Apr 18, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
With most 2014 conference-finalists eliminated, Warriors are clear favorite
Apr 18, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Their rivalry goes back until the Dwight Howard free agent recruitment. If not earlier.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
The winner in 7 games will be …
Apr 17, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Cuban also says of Houston: “that’s not a very good team over there.”
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3