Nov 19, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT
The Nets traded for Troy Murphy this summer because he could provide some scoring punch at the four, mentor Derrick Favors and was a $12 million expiring contract.
Now he can be yours. — if the price is right.
The Nets are looking to trade Murphy, according to the Star-Ledger, with their source saying it would “probably” happen. This isn’t a total shock, is name had already come up in the four-team deal to bring Carmelo Anthony to Denver that fell apart before the season.
It will probably happen much closer to the deadline if it does, but he is on the market.
He has been beat out of his starting job by Kris Humphries (also in the last year of his deal) and the rookie Favors is contributing a lot more than expected early on. They don’t need him.
They are going to have to play him at some point to showcase him, but if he is healthy he is a reasonably good stretch four with a massive expiring contract. Somebody is going to have interest in that. The question is what would the Nets take on in return, this is a team trying to keep its options open to get a future free agent star. Unless, of course, you want to send them one for Murphy (*cough* Denver *cough*).
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 0
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 6
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 11
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 27
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23