Nov 19, 2010, 4:14 PM EST
There are certain players on certain teams who want to be inspired by the bright lights in New York City, to be the big star on the big stage with the Knicks. We’re not going to name names here, but one such player may have a name that rhymes with Darmelo Danthony.
Danilo Gallinari as been touted as a star for the Knicks, but after his second consecutive 20-point game Wednesday he tried to play down the expectations on him to the New York Times.
“I know you expect a lot from me, and people expect a lot from me,” Gallinari said late Wednesday night, “but I’m not a superstar, I’m not an All-Star, I’m not LeBron, I’m not those great players. I’m an important player of the Knicks. And that’s what I’m trying to do, to help the team every time. Sometimes, can be these type of games, sometimes not. But as long as we win, it’s all good.”
There is some pressure for Gallinari to be a star on this roster, although he may be better suited to the third option, stretch the floor guy. Whichever, Gallinari is just starting to find his way on a team with a lot of new players, he is picking his spots to attack and has started to fine the spaces to spot up. He’s been inconsistent so far, but coach Mike D’Antoni keeps trusting him and waiting for him to turn the corner.
The man can shoot the rock, it is just a matter of comfort.
And if you can shoot the rock under the bright lights of Madison Square Garden, you will be a star. Want it or not.
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 13: Talking Asik, Gasol trades plus NBA Draft with Rob Dauster 0
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. 17
- Report: Grizzlies shopping Zach Randolph around, want deal with Pelicans 6
- Nets notes: Kidd takes some credit, Lopez downplays injury, and Pierce off the bench 2
- Report: Knicks’ owner shoots down trade to get team Kyle Lowry 26
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (64)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (51)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)