Nov 19, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
The news Greg Oden’s latest microfracture surgery was a crushing blow to both the Blazers franchise and its fans, but there may be the smallest of silver linings on the horizon. Over on BlazersEdge, cap guru “storyteller” outlined how the Blazers may be eligible for a Disabled Player Exception because of Oden, and what they might be able to do with that exception:
If an injury occurs between July 1 and November 30, the physician determines whether or not the player will be unable to play (due to injury or death) during the current season. If so, an exception can be offered…
Now onto the specifics regarding Greg Oden. I assume that the team will apply for a disabled player exception. If granted, the amount of the exception would be $3,380,262 and they would have 45 days to use it. The league in the past has been pretty good about granting such extensions to teams who have disabled players…
A) Portland could use the exception to sign a larger-than-minimum-salary free agent, presumably a big man. Someone like Erick Dampier would be an option. I’m not a big fan of Dampier, but …..
B) Portland could use the exception to make an uneven (money wise) trade. For example, sending Sean Marks and the New Orleans 1st round pick received in the Bayless deal to Philadelphia for Spencer Hawes.
C) Portland could use the exception to facilitate a trade to aid a team that is over the luxury tax threshold. For example, sending a 2nd round pick to Denver for Renaldo Balkman and a 1st round pick (first waiving a player to create a roster spot).
Excellent work from storyteller, and a league source told BlazersEdge’s Ben Golliver that the Blazers will in fact seek a disabled player exception for Oden. Dampier, Hawes, and Balkman certainly won’t give the Blazers what a healthy Oden would, but at least they might be able to do something to fill the void left by Oden’s latest setback.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 9
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 7
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 24
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 18
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games