Nov 18, 2010, 2:21 PM EDT
The Miami Heat have the most star-studded roster east of Los Angeles — but they don’t want their fans to be like Lakers fans.
Well, they want them to be rich and willing to pay for overpriced seats like Lakers fans. But they don’t want the Los Angeles fans reputation of showing up late to games, being more interested in their Blackberries during said game (looking up only for the Laker Girls routines), then leaving early to beat traffic.
They want “real” fans. “Fan Up.” Whatever that means. So the Heat PR put together a video to challenge their fan base — or insult and nag them, depending on how you view it. Plus they started a campaign on how to be a better fan by doing things like showing up on time, staying the entire game. Check out the video.
This is just wrong on a lot of levels — trying to shame your fan base into being “good” or being what you want them to be is only going to backfire. This is not going to change the late-arriving, laid back, party atmosphere in Miami’s arena, it’s just going to make fans feel like their mother is nagging them.
Stop it. You don’t see this from the Lakers — if you’re paying that much for the seat, do what you want with it in LA. The “real” Lakers fans arrive on time in the 300 level above the luxury boxes at Staples, that’s where the real noise comes from during games. Those real fans fill bars and drive television ratings up in Los Angeles. The celebs in the expensive seats play to their own beat, as does the city. The Lakers just let them dance to their drummer.
Embrace your fan base for what they are, Miami. Don’t try to change them into the Boston fan base. For their sake and yours.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49