Nov 18, 2010, 2:21 PM EDT
The Miami Heat have the most star-studded roster east of Los Angeles — but they don’t want their fans to be like Lakers fans.
Well, they want them to be rich and willing to pay for overpriced seats like Lakers fans. But they don’t want the Los Angeles fans reputation of showing up late to games, being more interested in their Blackberries during said game (looking up only for the Laker Girls routines), then leaving early to beat traffic.
They want “real” fans. “Fan Up.” Whatever that means. So the Heat PR put together a video to challenge their fan base — or insult and nag them, depending on how you view it. Plus they started a campaign on how to be a better fan by doing things like showing up on time, staying the entire game. Check out the video.
This is just wrong on a lot of levels — trying to shame your fan base into being “good” or being what you want them to be is only going to backfire. This is not going to change the late-arriving, laid back, party atmosphere in Miami’s arena, it’s just going to make fans feel like their mother is nagging them.
Stop it. You don’t see this from the Lakers — if you’re paying that much for the seat, do what you want with it in LA. The “real” Lakers fans arrive on time in the 300 level above the luxury boxes at Staples, that’s where the real noise comes from during games. Those real fans fill bars and drive television ratings up in Los Angeles. The celebs in the expensive seats play to their own beat, as does the city. The Lakers just let them dance to their drummer.
Embrace your fan base for what they are, Miami. Don’t try to change them into the Boston fan base. For their sake and yours.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 2
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games