Nov 18, 2010, 12:59 PM EDT
In NBA locker rooms filled with the long and lanky, Ron Artest stands out — he is thick and built like a weak side linebacker.
When he’s done with the Lakers, he’d like the chance to be one. That’s what he told CBSSports (as part of a wide ranging issue that touches on the raffle of his ring and more).
“God willing, after my NBA career, God willing I’m still athletic enough – which I’m trying to take care of my body as best as possible and be prepared for this day, for this tryout of an NFL team,” Artest said. “… It’s a fantasy of mine. It’s an opportunity because I’m athletic. So if that fantasy can be fulfilled, and if it’s something that can really be reached as far as a goal, I’m going for it.”
When Artest is done with his Lakers contract he will be at least 33, if he picks up the $7.7 million option year at the end you can make that 34. At that age he would enter an NFL tryout having not tackled anyone in pads — or taken a hit after he caught the ball — since high school.
But reality sucks, so lets ignore all that. If anyone has the mentality to pull it off, if anyone is going to stay in the condition needed, it’s Artest. And the good news? No technical fouls for looking funny at the ref in the NFL.
Maybe by the time his contract is over, Artest can play for the NLF team in Los Angeles… nah, a team in LA by then is even a bigger pipe dream than Artest in the NFL.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record