Nov 17, 2010, 9:50 AM EST
Troy Murphy is making $12 million this season, the Nets big summer acquisition that was going to bring some scoring punch from the four. He was going to mentor Derrick Favors. He would be a big part of the franchise — for a year, then the franchise would try to go get someone they really want next summer when Murphy’s deal expired.
But Murphy is not contributing much — 4.4 points a game on 30 percent shooting with 5.2 rebounds. Which led to the dreaded “DNP-CD” against the Clippers — Murphy never got on the court because Avery Johnson didn’t put him in.
That’s a lot of money being paid to a guy to sit, so Johnson was asked why Murphy didn’t play by the New York Daily News:
“Troy wants to play. But right now, we’re trying to get to a starting rotation we can live with. Get a bench rotation we can live with. Just unfortunately the last two games, he’s totaled eight minutes and hasn’t been a major part of it.”
Ah, well, that really… um. We still don’t know.
Murphy is coming back slowly from injury, that is part of it. But a bigger part is that Derrick Favors has turned out to be good more quickly than expected, and Kris Humphries has completely outplayed Murphy. Both are rebounding much better, both are shooting at a higher percentage, both are more athletic. The result is they get the minutes and Murphy sits.
Still, that’s a guy you need to see if you can make work — Murphy can help a mundane Nets offense if he can get going. And part of that will be getting minutes. Otherwise he’s a $12 million 12th man.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (43)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)