Nov 17, 2010, 1:38 PM EDT
The Spurs let Alonzo Gee go, which dropped their roster down to 12 players. League rules require a team to carry 13 players.
Hello Danny Green.
The Spurs have signed the former Tarheel swingman, according to a tweet from Jeff McDonald of the Express-News. This is really an extended tryout for Green more than anything. He’ll have really good seats for games but will not be playing much at all.
Which is basically what he did for the Cavaliers last season — he got in 20 games and racked up 115 minutes of playing time. If we want to play Small Sample Size Theatre his numbers looked pretty good. But the Cavs didn’t keep him and that’s not exactly a powerhouse roster so read into that whatever you want. Green will need to prove he can defend at the NBA level and shoot better than Gee (2 of 9 if you combine preseason and regular season together).
Green got an invite to the dance, now it’s on him to stay.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80