Nov 17, 2010, 8:20 AM EST
With Andrew Bynum still a few weeks away, Theo Ratliff out for a month or more after knee surgery, Lamar Odom’s sore foot and so on, the Lakers may be looking for some help. So that Pau Gasol doesn’t have to play 43 minutes, like he did against the Bucks Tuesday.
Phil Jackson said the Lakers could be in the market to sign a center, according to the Los Angeles Times.
“We have to have some support there interim until Andrew comes back,” Coach Phil Jackson said Tuesday.
The Lakers will talk to the representative for free-agent Erick Dampier, though it might not be a good match for either side. Dampier will want more than a short-term contract, and the Lakers are looking for a little more mobility in the post.
The Lakers cannot offer a 10-day contract (it is not allowed until later in the season) but this deal would be essentially that, a non-guaranteed deal where the guy will be cut loose when everyone is healthy. Dampier would never sign that deal, so we don’t need to get into what a bad fit that would be.
Jake Voskuhl, Steven Hunter and Sean May will get looks, according to the report. Also, for the next couple games expect to see more of rookie Derrick Caracter (already on the Lakers roster).
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 7
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 7
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 50
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28