Andrew Bynum finds it’s illegal to be going double the speed limit

Nov 17, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT

Image (1) bynum-thumb-250x176-5609.jpg for post 96

Last night, Andrew Bynum was on the court before the Lakers took on the Milwaukee Bucks, practicing some moves while wearing a heavy knee brace. No defense, not a lot of speed, just some court work, but that’s a step forward toward his return in a few weeks.

On Oct. 29, Andrew Bynum was behind the wheel of his car — a 2010 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, which I have not personally driven but have to think is pretty damn fast. Which explains why he was going 110 on a Los Angeles freeway, doubling the 55 mph limit.

TMZ tells us the police were not amused and he was ticketed (via Ball Don’t Lie).

Law enforcement sources tell us the only reason he wasn’t nailed on a reckless driving charge was because traffic was light and the NBA star wasn’t weaving in and out of lanes.

Two things you can debate here: 1) Do you consider Bynum an “NBA star?”; 2) Is this another sign of the immature Bynum we hear about, or was this just no big deal? Discuss amongst yourselves.

1. spankyomonkey - Nov 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM

bynam is an a$$ clown

2. henryd3rd - Nov 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Picky picky picky! No harm no foul. What are they going to do? Send him to time out? This is what happens when you give immature kids the keys to daddy’s car. Oh that was his car? Damn!

3. dolphinatic - Nov 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM

It’s his life.. If he wants to risk his life and the financial security it brings to him and his family so be it..Not smart. I grew up driving the 101 and if it was late and light traffic it’s not as big a deal as it seems though.Hell I used to get my 1979 Ford Fiesta up to 110-112 between Ventura and SB, out of school and in the Laconchita water in under 20 mins…. Go LakeShow!!

4. ahemahem - Nov 17, 2010 at 8:49 PM

C’mon, Drew, grow up.

5. ocgunslinger - Nov 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM

(1) Bynum is NOT a star….yet…and may never be a STAR (2) Certainly it is irresponsible, stupid and immature to be speeding at 110 miles on the LA freeways (3) It is only a big deal in that it could have resulted in an accident causing the injury or death of an innocent…..so it is a big deal. At least he was NOT DUI at which point I would say throw the key away.

All that being said I guess if I was a young and single multiple millionaire with a new Ferrari I might want to stretch it out myself one late night on an empty freeway. Incidentally, I never see traffic running as slow as 55 MPH on any freeway at any time of the day as it is either 10-20 or 75-85 depending on the time.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview