Nov 16, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT
Zach Randolph wants his money and he wants it now.
He was very direct with Tim Povtak of FanHouse when asked about wanting to negotiate a contract extension for after the end of this season and the $17.3 million he is getting paid. He wants a deal in place before the new Collective Bargaining Agreement kicks in.
“I want to do it now,” he told FanHouse Monday before his Grizzlies lost to the Magic, 89-72, in Orlando. “Sooner the better. If we don’t do it now, there are a lot of other teams out there who like me….”
“I’d like to get it out of the way, but they (his agent and the Grizzlies) aren’t really talking right now, at least not that I know of,” he said. “And that’s disappointing. I like playing for this team. I want to stay with this team. I’m a blue-collar player in a blue-collar town, and it’s a good fit. I’m in my prime, and we all know it’s a business, too.”
The sides are not talking and are likely to be far apart. Randolph has had good numbers the last couple years — he averaged 20.8 points and 11.7 rebounds per game last season, this season that is down just slightly to 16 and 10.9, as his minutes are down slightly — but there have been long-standing questions about his defense and real desire to play an all-around game.
With that, the Grizzlies are looking at more like three, years, $40 million, Povtak said. It’s not likely any other team would spend much more than that (although after last summer’s spending spree we’re hesitant with that statement, so maybe it would be “no team should spend more…”). That’s a lot of money but a healthy pay for Z-Bo.
Randolph may well be one of the guys on the free agent market next summer, but once a new CBA is in place (whenever that happens) the numbers the Grizzlies are throwing out now might look generous.
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 23
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 26
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4