Nov 16, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
The conflict in what Carmelo Anthony says he wants is right out there in the open after the latest report: Find a way to make the Nuggets the best team in the West this season — so trade for a big asset without trading anything away — or trade me to the Knicks so I can win.
While you’re at it, figure out a way to end the recession, feed everyone on the planet and make iCarly go away.
The New York Post’s Peter Vecsey says he had three one-on-one conversations with Anthony over the past few weeks and came away just as confused as everyone else.
“I’m just like LeBron,” Anthony emphasized in the Nuggets’ locker room following Saturday’s practice. “It’s all about winning. That’s all I care about. I want the chance to compete at the championship level. All the other stuff is irrelevant.”
In my scrawny mind, that quote instantaneously eliminated the Knicks from contention for his revered services…. Don’t reach for your spectacles, you got that right; the Knicks remain a viable option. I repeat, a viable option.
Ask me how Anthony defends those colliding concepts after I speak with him a fourth time in private.
Vecsey also came away thinking the Nets were not an option he loved. Of course, if Vecsey had asked the same question the next day, would the answer have been the same?
Anthony so far has been all about talking about winning and keeping his options open in public, while the people behind him push for a trade to the Knicks. Or maybe the Bulls, but preferably the Knicks.
Anthony’s best chance at winning frankly comes in Denver, where there is a team that can push the Lakers, something it proved a couple nights ago. But Anthony admitted he told Denver he wants a team that can beat the Lakers this season, by the trade deadline, or he will look elsewhere. Good luck pulling that off, Nuggets.
“That’s reality,” Melo said. “Whether I like it or not, or whether they like it not.”
Hopefully somewhere, to someone (preferably to Denver’s front office) this is much more clear. Or in some way realistic.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32