Nov 16, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
The conflict in what Carmelo Anthony says he wants is right out there in the open after the latest report: Find a way to make the Nuggets the best team in the West this season — so trade for a big asset without trading anything away — or trade me to the Knicks so I can win.
While you’re at it, figure out a way to end the recession, feed everyone on the planet and make iCarly go away.
The New York Post’s Peter Vecsey says he had three one-on-one conversations with Anthony over the past few weeks and came away just as confused as everyone else.
“I’m just like LeBron,” Anthony emphasized in the Nuggets’ locker room following Saturday’s practice. “It’s all about winning. That’s all I care about. I want the chance to compete at the championship level. All the other stuff is irrelevant.”
In my scrawny mind, that quote instantaneously eliminated the Knicks from contention for his revered services…. Don’t reach for your spectacles, you got that right; the Knicks remain a viable option. I repeat, a viable option.
Ask me how Anthony defends those colliding concepts after I speak with him a fourth time in private.
Vecsey also came away thinking the Nets were not an option he loved. Of course, if Vecsey had asked the same question the next day, would the answer have been the same?
Anthony so far has been all about talking about winning and keeping his options open in public, while the people behind him push for a trade to the Knicks. Or maybe the Bulls, but preferably the Knicks.
Anthony’s best chance at winning frankly comes in Denver, where there is a team that can push the Lakers, something it proved a couple nights ago. But Anthony admitted he told Denver he wants a team that can beat the Lakers this season, by the trade deadline, or he will look elsewhere. Good luck pulling that off, Nuggets.
“That’s reality,” Melo said. “Whether I like it or not, or whether they like it not.”
Hopefully somewhere, to someone (preferably to Denver’s front office) this is much more clear. Or in some way realistic.
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9