Nov 16, 2010, 11:45 PM EST
In Stephon Marbury’s matrix, his thoughts on the Knicks really matter. They do not in any of ours, for us they are pure entertainment from a guy headed to China to play.
That said, we like entertainment, so here is what he told the New York Post (just some highlights of a story you should read all of):
“It’s just a matter of time,” Marbury said. “That’s all I got to stay about D’Antoni’s situation. I don’t pay attention to his coaching. It hasn’t changed since he won 50 games or since all the how many games he’s lost here. If he had different pieces, he’s a very effective coach. But without any players that play with the realm of how he coaches the game, it will never be.
“It’s a matter of time,” Marbury added. “It’s a countdown now. He put a countdown on his head. Now (the fans) know we’re never going to win a championship like this.”
‘He doesn’t teach defense,” Marbury said. “He teaches offense. (Jeff) Van Gundy teaches defense. (The D’Antoni system) doesn’t work in New York. Not in the East. You have to have a team that dives for balls and takes the 3 when nobody expects you to take the 3. You have to be inside the fans’ minds and that’s what they want. There’s knowledgeable people in the arena. They’re talking to you while you’re shooting a jump shot.”
This is the D’Antoni whose first act was banishing Marbury to the Siberia of the end of the Knicks bench. So, there’s some history. Plus, Marbury of course has long been known as a connoisseur of good coaching.
And for the record, what works in the Eastern Conference works in the West. You put the D’Antoni Suns in the East — with Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire and all of it — and they win as many or more than they did in the West. Just because there are more teams that play at pace in the West doesn’t mean doing it right wouldn’t work in the East.
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 0
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 1
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 10
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 12
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 47
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 25
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 12