Nov 16, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
The Mavs are faring well without Rodrigue Beaubois, but Dallas’ long-term success is certainly tied to the development of their young, dynamic scoring guard. At one point, Beaubois was aiming for a return by late in the preseason. Then he circled opening night on his calendar. Then the Mavs stopped giving possible timetables altogether, but it’s been suggested from various media outlets that a December return seems likely. It’s anyone’s guess at this point, but Beaubois took a step forward this week by ditching the walking boot that protects his broken foot.
According to Jeff Caplan of ESPN Dallas, Beaubois will be reevaluated every 10 days for gradual increases in his workload. We’re still weeks away from Beaubois being able to undergo solo drills, much less full scrimmages, or real game action, but it’s a start. His foot will gradually heal and he’ll work himself into game shape, and the Mavs and their fans will anxiously await his return.
Beaubois can hopefully alleviate some of the scoring burden from Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Terry, a task which Caron Butler hasn’t been able to do very efficiently this season. Beaubois is a great per-minute scorer who doesn’t waste shot attempts, and should be a great offensive complement to Dallas’ suddenly proficient defensive core. If the Mavs’ D can hold over the course of the season, the addition of Beaubois back into the lineup cold conceivably take Dallas to another level. I’m still not sure they’d be able to hold court with the Lakers, but I’m also not sure I’d pick any other Western Conference team to beat a Maverick squad boasting an elite defense and Beaubois’ added contributions.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 9
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 7
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 37
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10