Nov 14, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
It’s pretty predictable, really. Steve Nash’s best days were with Amar’e Stoudemire and Mike D’Antoni. Raymond Felton is a good point guard, but he’s not Steve Nash. Steve Nash may or may not be on the block if the Suns slip out of playoff contention. So the Knicks are getting in line good and early.
The New York Daily News reports that a Knicks source indicates they “will make an inquiry.” Whether that means a phone call, a fruit basket, or a gigantic blimp that reads “We’ll give you whatever you want! Love, The Knicks” is unclear at this time. Alvin Gentry definitely isn’t on board with moving Nash, and for known business-oriented owner Robert Sarver, moving Nash would mean a big drop in ticket sales, jersey sales, and everything-else sales. It doesn’t make much sense to move him until you’re absolutely ready to gut the team and start over. When that time comes, if that time comes, Nash does need to be the first to go, but you’ve got to make sure you’re absolutely ready to push that button before you do.
For the Knicks, they face the same problem they have with the Carmelo Anthony talks. What are they going to offer? They can give Felton, Anthony Randolph, Ronny Turiaf, Danilo Gallinari, Toney Douglas maybe, Wilson Chandler. Is there a combination of those guys you’d take for Steve Nash? The Knicks continue to face the same problem they’ve had all along. They can’t get a good player without sending picks along, and they sent their picks to Houston. The Knicks can inquire all they want, but it’s going to take two to tango.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30