Nov 14, 2010, 2:27 AM EST
If the Portland Trail Blazers and Brandon Roy believe in signs, the universe has not exactly been warm and fuzzy towards them in the past 24 hours. A day after word came out that Roy would never really be the same player due to his cartilage being completely gone in both knees, Roy was forced to leave the game against the Hornets with a knee injury. Blazersedge caught it on tape. Roy immediately jogged to the locker room after sustaining the injury, which is exactly what you want your All-Star locked into a long-term contract to do after he admitted to being in considerable pain.
Word comes from CBS that the Blazers are going to give Roy a few days to see how he feels. Which sounds vaguely like the most sadly hopeful treatment available. They don’t know what else to do, and surgery won’t help, so they’re going to see how it goes.
Look, maybe this ends well. Maybe Roy shakes it off, the knees hold up, he overcomes the pain and he takes them to the playoffs and beyond. It just doesn’t feel like that’s going to be the case. Maybe that’s fitting the narrative, based on their long and expansive history of crushing injuries. Maybe it’s just doomsday prophecy from an outsider that doesn’t understand the heart and will of Portland, Oregon.
But Wesley Matthews better be prepared to earn that check. And Rich Cho better have a few rabbits up his sleeve.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City canceled 6
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)