Nov 13, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
Well, good news Blazers fans — Brandon Roy doesn’t need surgery on his sore knees.
The bad news is, well, the reason he doesn’t need surgery, as reported by Jason Quick at the Oregonian.
There’s no meniscus left to operate on in Roy’s left knee.
“Nah. None. Not in my right, either,” Roy said Friday.
The reason Roy’s knee has been swelling up regularly, to the point where it has already been drained twice by Blazers’ doctor Don Roberts this season, is because there is no cartilage to absorb the pounding associated with running and jumping.
“The problem is bone-on-bone there,” Roy said. “Dr. Roberts calls it ‘arthritic knee.’ It’s just something I’m going to have to deal with for the rest of my career.”
That’s just sad news, because when healthy Roy is one of the most dynamic, athletic, exciting players in the league. And he is never going to be quite right. We should all feel a little robbed by that.
There are things Portland’s medical staff can do to keep him on the floor — anti-inflammatory medications, rest — but he will not be the same old guy. The current one is still a good player, one who can take the Blazers a long way. But it will not be the same.
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 0
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 5
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million