Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
We told you yesterday they were thinking about it, today the Minnesota Timberwolves made it official, signing Sundiata Gaines to help fill their depleted back court.
Gaines is a stop-game measure due to injuries —Luke Ridnour and Jonny Flynn are expected back next week, Martell Webster and Wayne Ellington could help some but they are banged up as well. That leaves shoot-first point Sebastian Telfair and then… nobody. So now, Gaines. This is a non-guaranteed deal.
Gains played pretty well in 32 games for the Jazz last year — he knocked down a dramatic game winner plus had a PER of 17.3, which is better than a lot of starting point guards in the league. Small sample size alert with that, but it should have been enough to get him a spot coming off the bench somewhere. It didn’t.
Gains will be a short-term fit in Minnesota, until Flynn and Ridnour return and are right. But maybe Gaines can raise his profile again and find another spot after Minnesota. The kid can play.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 5
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 10
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 1
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 20
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 97
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27