Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM EST
We told you yesterday they were thinking about it, today the Minnesota Timberwolves made it official, signing Sundiata Gaines to help fill their depleted back court.
Gaines is a stop-game measure due to injuries —Luke Ridnour and Jonny Flynn are expected back next week, Martell Webster and Wayne Ellington could help some but they are banged up as well. That leaves shoot-first point Sebastian Telfair and then… nobody. So now, Gaines. This is a non-guaranteed deal.
Gains played pretty well in 32 games for the Jazz last year — he knocked down a dramatic game winner plus had a PER of 17.3, which is better than a lot of starting point guards in the league. Small sample size alert with that, but it should have been enough to get him a spot coming off the bench somewhere. It didn’t.
Gains will be a short-term fit in Minnesota, until Flynn and Ridnour return and are right. But maybe Gaines can raise his profile again and find another spot after Minnesota. The kid can play.
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 1
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 1
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 15
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)