Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM EDT
We told you yesterday they were thinking about it, today the Minnesota Timberwolves made it official, signing Sundiata Gaines to help fill their depleted back court.
Gaines is a stop-game measure due to injuries —Luke Ridnour and Jonny Flynn are expected back next week, Martell Webster and Wayne Ellington could help some but they are banged up as well. That leaves shoot-first point Sebastian Telfair and then… nobody. So now, Gaines. This is a non-guaranteed deal.
Gains played pretty well in 32 games for the Jazz last year — he knocked down a dramatic game winner plus had a PER of 17.3, which is better than a lot of starting point guards in the league. Small sample size alert with that, but it should have been enough to get him a spot coming off the bench somewhere. It didn’t.
Gains will be a short-term fit in Minnesota, until Flynn and Ridnour return and are right. But maybe Gaines can raise his profile again and find another spot after Minnesota. The kid can play.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 0
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 3
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8