Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM EST
We told you yesterday they were thinking about it, today the Minnesota Timberwolves made it official, signing Sundiata Gaines to help fill their depleted back court.
Gaines is a stop-game measure due to injuries —Luke Ridnour and Jonny Flynn are expected back next week, Martell Webster and Wayne Ellington could help some but they are banged up as well. That leaves shoot-first point Sebastian Telfair and then… nobody. So now, Gaines. This is a non-guaranteed deal.
Gains played pretty well in 32 games for the Jazz last year — he knocked down a dramatic game winner plus had a PER of 17.3, which is better than a lot of starting point guards in the league. Small sample size alert with that, but it should have been enough to get him a spot coming off the bench somewhere. It didn’t.
Gains will be a short-term fit in Minnesota, until Flynn and Ridnour return and are right. But maybe Gaines can raise his profile again and find another spot after Minnesota. The kid can play.
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 13
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 26
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 11
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2
- LeBron James on Cavaliers’ struggles: “I stink” 20