Nov 12, 2010, 1:33 PM EST
We told you yesterday they were thinking about it, today the Minnesota Timberwolves made it official, signing Sundiata Gaines to help fill their depleted back court.
Gaines is a stop-game measure due to injuries —Luke Ridnour and Jonny Flynn are expected back next week, Martell Webster and Wayne Ellington could help some but they are banged up as well. That leaves shoot-first point Sebastian Telfair and then… nobody. So now, Gaines. This is a non-guaranteed deal.
Gains played pretty well in 32 games for the Jazz last year — he knocked down a dramatic game winner plus had a PER of 17.3, which is better than a lot of starting point guards in the league. Small sample size alert with that, but it should have been enough to get him a spot coming off the bench somewhere. It didn’t.
Gains will be a short-term fit in Minnesota, until Flynn and Ridnour return and are right. But maybe Gaines can raise his profile again and find another spot after Minnesota. The kid can play.
- PBT Extra: How would the NBA benefit from legalized sports betting? 2
- NBPA ready to appeal Jeffery Taylor’s 24-game suspension 7
- Alex Len, No. 5 pick in a draft full of players who looked like busts as rookies, showing he doesn’t deserve the label 4
- PBT’s Wednesday night NBA Winners/Losers: Video of LeBron’s fumble, other tight finishes 14
- LeBron James, with chance to beat Spurs, loses ball to end game (video) 39
- NBA suspends Hornets’ Jeff Taylor for 24 games following guilty plea for domestic violence 7
- PBT Extra: Is Dwight Howard NBA’s newest villain? 31
- Report: Bradley Beal to make season debut Wednesday for Wizards 5