Nov 12, 2010, 2:09 PM EDT
Joakim Noah is a weird dude.
He’s productive, unbridled, effective, wild — you can take your pick of frenetic adjectives and chances are, they apply. Noah’s career has been marked equally by his production and his energy, and it’s safe to say that regardless of what Noah does, he’ll do it in his own peculiar style.
So a little Noah anecdote passed on by David Lee shouldn’t surprise us. Joakims will be Joakims, after all. Yet this one might, if only because Lee’s bit is so atypically typical of Noah. From Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald:
“Coach (Billy) Donovan told me that we had like a buddy system and I had to make sure he got to class on time – which first of all, was absolutely impossible,” Lee said. “So I said met me at this designated point, we’ll walk to your first class, you have no idea where the building is. He said, ‘OK, cool D, cool.’
“I see the guy on campus walking. He has shorts down below his waist, no shirt on and a boombox playing music while he’s walking. He’s like, ‘Yo, I’m ready for class.’ I’m like, ‘Jo, come on, man.’ He’s like, ‘What?’
Yeah. Joakim Noah is that guy. Bring us home, David:
“So that was my first ‘getting him to class’ experience. He’s a very free-spirited guy, but I think that’s what makes him so special. There are very few guys and it’s a skill in the NBA, playing hard night in and night out and providing that constant effort. He’s got a great skill set, but what makes him special is that intensity he brings every single night. That’s why the Bulls are lucky to have him.”
Lee’s right. There’s no question that Noah’s eccentricities translate onto the court, even if his in-game wardrobe is a bit more normative. Noah is only successful because of a steadfast commitment to be really strange all the time, and that translates into an active playing style, an active hairstyle, and an active defensive style. It’s a bit odd that Noah swings to the other side of the spectrum when he’s on the hardwood (he may be a chill, free-spirited bro on his off-days, but Noah the player is far more animated), but his on-court persona makes for some fine entertainment.
Keep being you, Joakim. Carry that boombox with pride.
Link via Marcel Mutoni.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 12
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 30
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24