Nov 12, 2010, 2:09 PM EDT
Joakim Noah is a weird dude.
He’s productive, unbridled, effective, wild — you can take your pick of frenetic adjectives and chances are, they apply. Noah’s career has been marked equally by his production and his energy, and it’s safe to say that regardless of what Noah does, he’ll do it in his own peculiar style.
So a little Noah anecdote passed on by David Lee shouldn’t surprise us. Joakims will be Joakims, after all. Yet this one might, if only because Lee’s bit is so atypically typical of Noah. From Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald:
“Coach (Billy) Donovan told me that we had like a buddy system and I had to make sure he got to class on time – which first of all, was absolutely impossible,” Lee said. “So I said met me at this designated point, we’ll walk to your first class, you have no idea where the building is. He said, ‘OK, cool D, cool.’
“I see the guy on campus walking. He has shorts down below his waist, no shirt on and a boombox playing music while he’s walking. He’s like, ‘Yo, I’m ready for class.’ I’m like, ‘Jo, come on, man.’ He’s like, ‘What?’
Yeah. Joakim Noah is that guy. Bring us home, David:
“So that was my first ‘getting him to class’ experience. He’s a very free-spirited guy, but I think that’s what makes him so special. There are very few guys and it’s a skill in the NBA, playing hard night in and night out and providing that constant effort. He’s got a great skill set, but what makes him special is that intensity he brings every single night. That’s why the Bulls are lucky to have him.”
Lee’s right. There’s no question that Noah’s eccentricities translate onto the court, even if his in-game wardrobe is a bit more normative. Noah is only successful because of a steadfast commitment to be really strange all the time, and that translates into an active playing style, an active hairstyle, and an active defensive style. It’s a bit odd that Noah swings to the other side of the spectrum when he’s on the hardwood (he may be a chill, free-spirited bro on his off-days, but Noah the player is far more animated), but his on-court persona makes for some fine entertainment.
Keep being you, Joakim. Carry that boombox with pride.
Link via Marcel Mutoni.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 10
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15