Nov 12, 2010, 2:09 PM EDT
Joakim Noah is a weird dude.
He’s productive, unbridled, effective, wild — you can take your pick of frenetic adjectives and chances are, they apply. Noah’s career has been marked equally by his production and his energy, and it’s safe to say that regardless of what Noah does, he’ll do it in his own peculiar style.
So a little Noah anecdote passed on by David Lee shouldn’t surprise us. Joakims will be Joakims, after all. Yet this one might, if only because Lee’s bit is so atypically typical of Noah. From Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald:
“Coach (Billy) Donovan told me that we had like a buddy system and I had to make sure he got to class on time – which first of all, was absolutely impossible,” Lee said. “So I said met me at this designated point, we’ll walk to your first class, you have no idea where the building is. He said, ‘OK, cool D, cool.’
“I see the guy on campus walking. He has shorts down below his waist, no shirt on and a boombox playing music while he’s walking. He’s like, ‘Yo, I’m ready for class.’ I’m like, ‘Jo, come on, man.’ He’s like, ‘What?’
Yeah. Joakim Noah is that guy. Bring us home, David:
“So that was my first ‘getting him to class’ experience. He’s a very free-spirited guy, but I think that’s what makes him so special. There are very few guys and it’s a skill in the NBA, playing hard night in and night out and providing that constant effort. He’s got a great skill set, but what makes him special is that intensity he brings every single night. That’s why the Bulls are lucky to have him.”
Lee’s right. There’s no question that Noah’s eccentricities translate onto the court, even if his in-game wardrobe is a bit more normative. Noah is only successful because of a steadfast commitment to be really strange all the time, and that translates into an active playing style, an active hairstyle, and an active defensive style. It’s a bit odd that Noah swings to the other side of the spectrum when he’s on the hardwood (he may be a chill, free-spirited bro on his off-days, but Noah the player is far more animated), but his on-court persona makes for some fine entertainment.
Keep being you, Joakim. Carry that boombox with pride.
Link via Marcel Mutoni.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 16
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 20
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2