Nov 12, 2010, 3:59 PM EDT
While the rest of us are filled with a slight dread thinking about Christmas — unless you’re one of those organized a—— who has finished their shopping already — Mike Miller is counting down the days like a six-year-old.
He’s set that day as the new goal for his return to the Heat lineup. The day they take on the Lakers on national television. That’s what he told ESPN’s Heat Index.
“It’s definitely getting better, but it’s still sore,” Miller told ESPN.com Thursday night before the Heat faced the Boston Celtics at American Airlines Arena. “My goal is to get out there a little quicker than we thought. I’m looking to be out there ready to go when we play the Lakers.”
Miller was supposed to be the Heat’s designated sharpshooter, but he caught his thumb in the jersey of a teammate during a practice and ripped it up pretty good — a fracture and ligament damage that required surgery. Of course it was on his shooting hand.
The original target return date was in January, but Miller says he is ahead of schedule right now.
“I just have to let that the screw they inserted heal near the bone,” Miller said. “But it’s getting better. After we get this [brace] off, it will take about three weeks [of rehabilitation]. I’m probably going to have to wear some kind of brace when I start to play, but it’ll be all right.”
Miller certainly would be a welcome weapon and improve the spacing in the Heat’s offense. And they could use that against the Lakers.
- Cavs GM: It’s “highly unlikely” Kevin Love returns at all in playoffs, even if Cavs make Finals 17
- No Kevin Love, no J.R. Smith to start, how much trouble is Cleveland in? 19
- PBT Extra: Who wins Game 5 between Spurs, Clippers? Flip a coin. 6
- PBT Extra: Rockets must adjust to new Mavericks starting lineup in Game 5 10
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 5
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 25
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 11
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2