Nov 12, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Marc Stein has some disturbing news for Kings fans regarding rookie power forward DeMarcus Cousins:
Word is that handling rookie forward DeMarcus Cousins is proving to be an even bigger job for coach Paul Westphal and his staff than expected, even after the Kings hired Cousins’ high school coach (Otis Hughley) in hopes of keeping the 20-year-old — freshly relegated to a bench role — plugged in.
One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Cousins was fined recently for clashing with members of Westphal’s staff. I’ve also been advised that it’s not one-and-done as far as such clashes go, which has created a level of tension that — anticipated or not — obviously isn’t what the Kings need when they’re already operating at such an experience deficit on top of their serious defensive frailties.
Not good news for Cousins or the Kings, and you can’t say that nobody saw it coming. People are comparing Cousins’ attitude problems to those of Tyreke Evans, but there’s a difference. Evans was an instant NBA success, and Cousins has struggled so far — he’s shooting 43% from the floor, turning the ball over more than twice a game, and committing a foul once every 4.98 minutes. If Cousins is acting up before he’s proved anything at all on the floor, it could become a real problem for the Kings down the line.
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 0
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 19
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19