Nov 12, 2010, 6:05 PM EST
ESPN.com’s Marc Stein has some disturbing news for Kings fans regarding rookie power forward DeMarcus Cousins:
Word is that handling rookie forward DeMarcus Cousins is proving to be an even bigger job for coach Paul Westphal and his staff than expected, even after the Kings hired Cousins’ high school coach (Otis Hughley) in hopes of keeping the 20-year-old — freshly relegated to a bench role — plugged in.
One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Cousins was fined recently for clashing with members of Westphal’s staff. I’ve also been advised that it’s not one-and-done as far as such clashes go, which has created a level of tension that — anticipated or not — obviously isn’t what the Kings need when they’re already operating at such an experience deficit on top of their serious defensive frailties.
Not good news for Cousins or the Kings, and you can’t say that nobody saw it coming. People are comparing Cousins’ attitude problems to those of Tyreke Evans, but there’s a difference. Evans was an instant NBA success, and Cousins has struggled so far — he’s shooting 43% from the floor, turning the ball over more than twice a game, and committing a foul once every 4.98 minutes. If Cousins is acting up before he’s proved anything at all on the floor, it could become a real problem for the Kings down the line.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 5
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 17
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19