Nov 12, 2010, 6:05 PM EDT
ESPN.com’s Marc Stein has some disturbing news for Kings fans regarding rookie power forward DeMarcus Cousins:
Word is that handling rookie forward DeMarcus Cousins is proving to be an even bigger job for coach Paul Westphal and his staff than expected, even after the Kings hired Cousins’ high school coach (Otis Hughley) in hopes of keeping the 20-year-old — freshly relegated to a bench role — plugged in.
One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Cousins was fined recently for clashing with members of Westphal’s staff. I’ve also been advised that it’s not one-and-done as far as such clashes go, which has created a level of tension that — anticipated or not — obviously isn’t what the Kings need when they’re already operating at such an experience deficit on top of their serious defensive frailties.
Not good news for Cousins or the Kings, and you can’t say that nobody saw it coming. People are comparing Cousins’ attitude problems to those of Tyreke Evans, but there’s a difference. Evans was an instant NBA success, and Cousins has struggled so far — he’s shooting 43% from the floor, turning the ball over more than twice a game, and committing a foul once every 4.98 minutes. If Cousins is acting up before he’s proved anything at all on the floor, it could become a real problem for the Kings down the line.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29