Nov 12, 2010, 6:05 PM EST
ESPN.com’s Marc Stein has some disturbing news for Kings fans regarding rookie power forward DeMarcus Cousins:
Word is that handling rookie forward DeMarcus Cousins is proving to be an even bigger job for coach Paul Westphal and his staff than expected, even after the Kings hired Cousins’ high school coach (Otis Hughley) in hopes of keeping the 20-year-old — freshly relegated to a bench role — plugged in.
One source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Cousins was fined recently for clashing with members of Westphal’s staff. I’ve also been advised that it’s not one-and-done as far as such clashes go, which has created a level of tension that — anticipated or not — obviously isn’t what the Kings need when they’re already operating at such an experience deficit on top of their serious defensive frailties.
Not good news for Cousins or the Kings, and you can’t say that nobody saw it coming. People are comparing Cousins’ attitude problems to those of Tyreke Evans, but there’s a difference. Evans was an instant NBA success, and Cousins has struggled so far — he’s shooting 43% from the floor, turning the ball over more than twice a game, and committing a foul once every 4.98 minutes. If Cousins is acting up before he’s proved anything at all on the floor, it could become a real problem for the Kings down the line.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)