Nov 11, 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
We’ve detailed how Robin Lopez is off to a slow start this season, which is bad news for a Suns team that is tissue paper inside without him.
Now he has fessed up to why the slow start — while his back isn’t painful from last year’s bulging disc issue, he’s never fully regained his athleticism after it, as reported by Paul Coro at the Arizona Republic.
“I think I’m not quite as explosive as I was last season,” Lopez said. “I need to get back to that. But I also need to figure out how to play not being quite as explosive. I think it’s just part of the rehab process. I think eventually it’ll come back.”
“I think Robin still is trying to get back to his best physically,” Nash said. “He’s not moving the same as he did last year. He’s not covering the same amount of ground. It takes time. Backs are difficult and what he had is not a joking matter.”
And Nash knows a thing or two about lingering back issues.
The challenge in Phoenix is they do not have anyone on the roster who can really bring what Lopez did in terms of rebounding and defending the rim. They need him back, which means they need him to figure out how to play with his back.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32