Nov 11, 2010, 10:36 PM EDT
Phil Jackson is in mid-season mind games form.
People have started asking if the 8-0 Lakers could win 72 games — they’ve looked pretty dominant and they don’t even have Andrew Bynum in the fold yet.
It’s not going to happen, we all know it and Phil Jackson has said so before. But when asked again today, he took the chance to put a little more heat on the Heat, as Dave McMenamin at ESPNLosAngeles reports.
“It’s not going to happen [for us],” Jackson said about the 70-win talk surrounding his team after the Lakers’ shootaround Thursday morning in preparation for their game against the Denver Nuggets. “The schedule’s too tough. The travel is extenuating in the Western Conference, there’s very difficult time zone changes that you go through and all the stuff that happens. And that’s disregarding the idea that you can play with all your players for the rest of the season.
“Everything has to just break perfect for that to happen, plus the team has to be very, very resilient and very, very capable of filling in for one another at multiple positions….”
“I think this Miami team could.”
“They’re talented enough to do that,” he continued. “They may not be deep enough quite yet or have all their persons in place and teamwork just down, but if they stay together, they have a good chance. They have a very talented team.”
If you think that wasn’t thrown in there to just add a little more pressure to the Heat, you haven’t been watching Jackson the last couple decades. He lives for little digs like that, little things to try and plant in the Heat’s mind. Although, in this case, we’re all kind of thinking it. Not this year, but maybe if they get better role players….
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 36
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 44
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 57
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7