Nov 11, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
The Miami Heat taking on the Utah Jazz in November set a record for the most watched regular season Heat game in the history of the Sun Sports television network.
Think about that for a second. November against the Jazz earned a 7.2 rating and that beat anything in the Shaquille O’Neal era. The title year. The year after the title. This was a fairly unimportant game Tuesday — a very entertaining one (although maybe not the way Heat fans hoped) but still a pretty tedious one.
But this shouldn’t be a huge shock as ratings for Heat games are up 112 percent over a year ago, according to Sports Media Watch.
So far this season, Heat telecasts are averaging a 5.3 rating on Sun Sports, up 112% from last year (2.5). Though up big from last year, the 5.3 trails last year’s full season average for James’ former team, the Cavaliers, on Fox Sports Ohio (8.6).
The record that Tuesday’s game beat? The previous Heat game, against the Hornets the previous Friday night. The one that beat? Michael Jordan and he Bulls back in January 1998.
I know, I can see the comments in my mind now: “Who cares? And stop shoving he Heat down our throat!” Of course, to read this far you clicked the link. And read five paragraphs. And that’s the point — for all the complaining the public watches the Heat, reads about the Heat, devours everything they do. You want more, so we give you more. You could choose not to read this story or watch Heat games, but the fact is a lot of people do those things. So we give you Heat content. If you don’t want so much of it, turn the channel, don’t click the link.
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 28
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 51
- Report: Lakers say ‘no done deal’ with Byron Scott 16
- Report: Lakers, Byron Scott agree to four-year, $17 million deal to coach team 15
- Kevin Love trade talk: He doesn’t want to opt in to deal, Cavs may live with that 40
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 19
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 46
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 10