Nov 11, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
The Miami Heat taking on the Utah Jazz in November set a record for the most watched regular season Heat game in the history of the Sun Sports television network.
Think about that for a second. November against the Jazz earned a 7.2 rating and that beat anything in the Shaquille O’Neal era. The title year. The year after the title. This was a fairly unimportant game Tuesday — a very entertaining one (although maybe not the way Heat fans hoped) but still a pretty tedious one.
But this shouldn’t be a huge shock as ratings for Heat games are up 112 percent over a year ago, according to Sports Media Watch.
So far this season, Heat telecasts are averaging a 5.3 rating on Sun Sports, up 112% from last year (2.5). Though up big from last year, the 5.3 trails last year’s full season average for James’ former team, the Cavaliers, on Fox Sports Ohio (8.6).
The record that Tuesday’s game beat? The previous Heat game, against the Hornets the previous Friday night. The one that beat? Michael Jordan and he Bulls back in January 1998.
I know, I can see the comments in my mind now: “Who cares? And stop shoving he Heat down our throat!” Of course, to read this far you clicked the link. And read five paragraphs. And that’s the point — for all the complaining the public watches the Heat, reads about the Heat, devours everything they do. You want more, so we give you more. You could choose not to read this story or watch Heat games, but the fact is a lot of people do those things. So we give you Heat content. If you don’t want so much of it, turn the channel, don’t click the link.
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 1
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 64
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10