Nov 11, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
There was a time — old timers will tell you a better time, I’m not so convinced — when the players didn’t shake hands before the game, didn’t hang out together and workout together in the offseason, didn’t know or really like each other.
Joakim Noah is a bit of a throwback that way, as much as anyone can be. He has rivalries and they carry over off the court. For example, Noah’s feelings about Kevin Garnett carry over from the playoffs, and it will save him a stamp this Christmas, as reported at ESPNChicago.com:
“Kevin Garnett will not — will not — get a Christmas gift from me,” Noah said with a tinge of humor Wednesday on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I don’t like him….”
“He’s a very mean guy,” Noah said Wednesday. “Where’s the love? None at all. Ugly, too….”
“I had his poster in my room,” Noah said. “I used to wear his jersey. And the truth is my rookie year, I was in admiration of this guy, and he kind of shut me down.
“And he was very mean to me my rookie year. And he’s only mean to the young guys and the [European players], for some reason. I don’t know why, but that’s who he doesn’t like. He’s not nice. I talk a lot of trash out there, but c’mon, be a little sensitive. Be sweet.”
He wants Kevin Garnett to be sweet? Maybe it’s a matter of Noah’s expectations being out of whack.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20