Nov 11, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
There was a time — old timers will tell you a better time, I’m not so convinced — when the players didn’t shake hands before the game, didn’t hang out together and workout together in the offseason, didn’t know or really like each other.
Joakim Noah is a bit of a throwback that way, as much as anyone can be. He has rivalries and they carry over off the court. For example, Noah’s feelings about Kevin Garnett carry over from the playoffs, and it will save him a stamp this Christmas, as reported at ESPNChicago.com:
“Kevin Garnett will not — will not — get a Christmas gift from me,” Noah said with a tinge of humor Wednesday on “The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I don’t like him….”
“He’s a very mean guy,” Noah said Wednesday. “Where’s the love? None at all. Ugly, too….”
“I had his poster in my room,” Noah said. “I used to wear his jersey. And the truth is my rookie year, I was in admiration of this guy, and he kind of shut me down.
“And he was very mean to me my rookie year. And he’s only mean to the young guys and the [European players], for some reason. I don’t know why, but that’s who he doesn’t like. He’s not nice. I talk a lot of trash out there, but c’mon, be a little sensitive. Be sweet.”
He wants Kevin Garnett to be sweet? Maybe it’s a matter of Noah’s expectations being out of whack.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 0
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 11
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 17
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8