Nov 10, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
While we’re all marveling at the transformation we see in New Orleans, let’s not pretend that they are testing the Lakers — or likely even the Spurs or Mavericks — come the playoffs. The Hornets are much better, but not elite or really on that next tier yet.
The Hornets front office gets that, too.
Which is why they are looking for a trade, to move their one big chip — the expiring $15 million deal of Peja Stojakovic, according to Chris Broussard of ESPN.
The Hornets have already contacted Philadelphia about Andre Iguodala. But the Sixers, who aren’t yet sure they’re willing to move Iguodala, rebuffed them fairly quickly. Philadelphia’s getting lots of calls about Iguodala and will have plenty of options if it decides to trade him.
Broussard hits the bigger point — are the Hornets willing to throw in some young talent with Peja to make the pill go down easier for a trading partner? It’s hard to picture them having discussed Marcus Thornton in a deal — that’s a lot of potential to give away.
But what matters is not Iggy or the other guys that Broussard speculates about (Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Kevin Martin), there will be names floating around a lot as we move through the holidays.
What matters is that the Hornets are looking, are being aggressive. There were concerns with a stalled ownership sale that GM Dell Demps hands could be tied, but that does not seem to be the case. They may be really building something down on the bayou.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28