Nov 10, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
While we’re all marveling at the transformation we see in New Orleans, let’s not pretend that they are testing the Lakers — or likely even the Spurs or Mavericks — come the playoffs. The Hornets are much better, but not elite or really on that next tier yet.
The Hornets front office gets that, too.
Which is why they are looking for a trade, to move their one big chip — the expiring $15 million deal of Peja Stojakovic, according to Chris Broussard of ESPN.
The Hornets have already contacted Philadelphia about Andre Iguodala. But the Sixers, who aren’t yet sure they’re willing to move Iguodala, rebuffed them fairly quickly. Philadelphia’s getting lots of calls about Iguodala and will have plenty of options if it decides to trade him.
Broussard hits the bigger point — are the Hornets willing to throw in some young talent with Peja to make the pill go down easier for a trading partner? It’s hard to picture them having discussed Marcus Thornton in a deal — that’s a lot of potential to give away.
But what matters is not Iggy or the other guys that Broussard speculates about (Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Kevin Martin), there will be names floating around a lot as we move through the holidays.
What matters is that the Hornets are looking, are being aggressive. There were concerns with a stalled ownership sale that GM Dell Demps hands could be tied, but that does not seem to be the case. They may be really building something down on the bayou.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?