Nov 10, 2010, 5:41 PM EDT
It doesn’t get any more iconic than being “The Logo.”
So it seems fitting that the Lakers are going to honor Jerry West — the legendary Lakers player and general manager — with a statue in Star Plaza outside Staples Center. The statue will be unveiled All-Star Weekend (which is at Staples this year).
West will join Magic Johnson and broadcaster Chick Hearn as Lakers with statues. Also out there are Wayne Gretzky and Oscar De La Hoya. Yes, Oscar De La Hoya.
West the player was part of the legendary Lakers Big Three of the 60s —West, Elgin Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain. They changed the game with their combination of skills, that combo never won a title because of Bill Russell and the Celtics. West got his title as a player in 1972 (with Chamberlain, not Baylor). Still, we are talking about a 14 time All-Star who averaged 27 points a game. Nicknamed Mr. Clutch because of his shooting. A gold medal from the 1960 games. A gimme Hall-of-Famer. One of the 50 best to ever play the game. An icon.
West the general manager took over a good Lakers team and made the little moves — hello Mychal Thompson, AC Green, Glen Rice, Byron Scott, and on and on — that made Showtime run through the 80s. Then swindled Charlotte out of future Staples Center statue guy Kobe Bryant and lured Shaquille O’Neal to Los Angeles to form another dynasty. Most great players are not great judges of talent (we’re looking at you, MJ) but West was the exception to the rule. An icon.
A guy who deserves a statue.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 0
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 3
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 2
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 68
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14