Nov 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:09 pm: Official word from the team is that Ellis simply has a back strain, that the X-rays and a CT scan showed nothing serious. He is listed as day-to-day and is catching up with the Warriors in New York, where the team faces the Knicks Wednesday night.
10:53 am: If you watched the video of Monta Ellis’ back injury from Monday night, you had to be a little freaked out — it was an awkward fall. It looks serious because we’re not used to seeing players fall that way.
But the prognosis is a sprain and “nothing serious” according to Ken Berger at CBS Sports. The official report from the Warriors will come later today, at which time we will get a status for him playing Wednesday against the Knicks.
Right now Ellis remains resting in Toronto after having post-game X-rays while his team has moved on to New York.
The injury came with the Warriors up seven and just 1:12 left in the game. Ellis drove baseline around his man and went up near the rim while both DeMar DeRozan and Amir Johnson came over to help and block the shot. Ellis landed awkwardly, seeming to have his back arched a lot when his legs hit the ground, and he just kind of fell backwards.
Ellis has averaged a career best 27.8 point per game this season. He has become far more efficient, getting to the line more often and draining midrange shots better than he ever has. It’s been enough for the Warriors to scratch the rumors about trading Ellis and plan for a future backcourt of him and Stephen Curry.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31