Nov 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:09 pm: Official word from the team is that Ellis simply has a back strain, that the X-rays and a CT scan showed nothing serious. He is listed as day-to-day and is catching up with the Warriors in New York, where the team faces the Knicks Wednesday night.
10:53 am: If you watched the video of Monta Ellis’ back injury from Monday night, you had to be a little freaked out — it was an awkward fall. It looks serious because we’re not used to seeing players fall that way.
But the prognosis is a sprain and “nothing serious” according to Ken Berger at CBS Sports. The official report from the Warriors will come later today, at which time we will get a status for him playing Wednesday against the Knicks.
Right now Ellis remains resting in Toronto after having post-game X-rays while his team has moved on to New York.
The injury came with the Warriors up seven and just 1:12 left in the game. Ellis drove baseline around his man and went up near the rim while both DeMar DeRozan and Amir Johnson came over to help and block the shot. Ellis landed awkwardly, seeming to have his back arched a lot when his legs hit the ground, and he just kind of fell backwards.
Ellis has averaged a career best 27.8 point per game this season. He has become far more efficient, getting to the line more often and draining midrange shots better than he ever has. It’s been enough for the Warriors to scratch the rumors about trading Ellis and plan for a future backcourt of him and Stephen Curry.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17