Nov 9, 2010, 1:09 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:09 pm: Official word from the team is that Ellis simply has a back strain, that the X-rays and a CT scan showed nothing serious. He is listed as day-to-day and is catching up with the Warriors in New York, where the team faces the Knicks Wednesday night.
10:53 am: If you watched the video of Monta Ellis’ back injury from Monday night, you had to be a little freaked out — it was an awkward fall. It looks serious because we’re not used to seeing players fall that way.
But the prognosis is a sprain and “nothing serious” according to Ken Berger at CBS Sports. The official report from the Warriors will come later today, at which time we will get a status for him playing Wednesday against the Knicks.
Right now Ellis remains resting in Toronto after having post-game X-rays while his team has moved on to New York.
The injury came with the Warriors up seven and just 1:12 left in the game. Ellis drove baseline around his man and went up near the rim while both DeMar DeRozan and Amir Johnson came over to help and block the shot. Ellis landed awkwardly, seeming to have his back arched a lot when his legs hit the ground, and he just kind of fell backwards.
Ellis has averaged a career best 27.8 point per game this season. He has become far more efficient, getting to the line more often and draining midrange shots better than he ever has. It’s been enough for the Warriors to scratch the rumors about trading Ellis and plan for a future backcourt of him and Stephen Curry.
- Oscar Robertson says if he were Carmelo Anthony “I would leave today” 24
- Larry Bird, through Pacers general manager, says Frank Vogel’s job is safe 5
- Can LaMarcus Aldridge break the all-time single-playoff scoring record? 23
- Thursday NBA playoff previews: Which Indiana team shows up? 11
- Wednesday NBA grades: It’s LaMarcus Aldridge’s world and the Rockets have to live in it 21