Nov 9, 2010, 6:33 PM EDT
The Rockets went with what they thought was the best man at the board, drafting power forward Patrick Patterson at No. 14 last June. A big man who has a midrange game and a nice jump hook, who just had to learn how to play defense a little bitter.
Problem is, there was no way to get that development at the NBA level. Not with Yao Ming, Brad Miller, Luis Scola, Brad Miller, Jared Jeffries, Chuck Hayes and Jordan Hill ahead of him. There just weren’t many minutes for a rookie.
So the Rockets have assigned Patterson to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers, the D-League team the Rockets own.
“Considering the front court depth we have in Houston, we felt that, at this point in time, it was in the team’s best interest to assign Patrick Patterson to the Vipers. We strongly value development through play and the upcoming stretch presented a timely opportunity for Patrick to join Vipers training camp, with the objective for him to play a primary role in the team’s games, practices and individual development processes,” said Gersson Rosas in the press release, and he is the Vipers GM and Rockets VP of player personnel.
Patterson looked, well, like a rookie during preseason. He got 15 minutes a game through six games, averaging about 4 points on 44.4 percent shooting and 4 rebounds. He needed time and minutes.
He will get them in the D-League, and that is not a bad way to go.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins go 'above and beyond' in Gm. 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury