Nov 9, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
We’ve picked up on a subtle theme in Avery Johnson’s talks to his team. Subtle like an Oliver Stone movie or a Metallica guitar riff.
First he ripped the Nets as being basically tissue paper as they watched the tape of the team getting destroyed by the Heat (the day after they lost to the Magic), then told the New York Daily News this about Brook Lopez.
“These two nights are not nights we hope to have from him. We have to do a better job of getting him better shots. He has to be more aggressive.
Johnson said Devin Harris had two “sub-par games” in Florida and the Nets need him to more aggressive. Harris agreed they were bad back-to-back games, but didn’t blame his sprained shoulder.
Johnson’s job one — well his and owner Mikhail Prokhorov’s — is to change the culture of the franchise. Return it to one that can win. Johnson has the on the court part and is preaching toughness and not backing down. The Nets are going to lose a lot of games because the talent isn’t there, but he wants them to fight. And that was missing in Florida.
You can be sure this isn’t the last of this sermon from Johnson, he’s got a lot more preaching to do over the course of this season to really change things.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games