Nov 8, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
You could tell when my favorite high school hoops coach was really mad — he wouldn’t say anything. He would yell to motivate, to get points across. But when he was genuinely enraged (and our team could do that to you) he just stared and said nothing and walked away.
Sounds like Flip Saunders.
Saunders just walked off the practice court today according to Bullets Forever, saying later he was unhappy with the team’s effort. He probably could have said the same thing about recent losses to the Cavaliers and Knicks. Without Saunders practice ended as well.
The team will have a second practice on Monday, not open to the media, at 4 p.m. Eastern. Two-a-days in November. That’s a ticked off coach.
Veterans on the 1-4 team were backing Saunders up on this one.
“We are getting ready to get a paycheck on the 15th. And right now I can honestly say y’all are getting a paycheck for nothing. And I can honestly say that,” Josh Howard said.
When Andray Blatche was asked if this was fair, he responded with “what’s our record?”
The fact the players and coach are frustrated and not taking this lying down is a good thing — plenty of NBA teams accept this and just roll over on their way to a 21 win season. That there is a little fight in the Wizards and their coach is a good sign.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8