Nov 8, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
You could tell when my favorite high school hoops coach was really mad — he wouldn’t say anything. He would yell to motivate, to get points across. But when he was genuinely enraged (and our team could do that to you) he just stared and said nothing and walked away.
Sounds like Flip Saunders.
Saunders just walked off the practice court today according to Bullets Forever, saying later he was unhappy with the team’s effort. He probably could have said the same thing about recent losses to the Cavaliers and Knicks. Without Saunders practice ended as well.
The team will have a second practice on Monday, not open to the media, at 4 p.m. Eastern. Two-a-days in November. That’s a ticked off coach.
Veterans on the 1-4 team were backing Saunders up on this one.
“We are getting ready to get a paycheck on the 15th. And right now I can honestly say y’all are getting a paycheck for nothing. And I can honestly say that,” Josh Howard said.
When Andray Blatche was asked if this was fair, he responded with “what’s our record?”
The fact the players and coach are frustrated and not taking this lying down is a good thing — plenty of NBA teams accept this and just roll over on their way to a 21 win season. That there is a little fight in the Wizards and their coach is a good sign.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 11
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 45
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 58
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13