Nov 8, 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
You could tell when my favorite high school hoops coach was really mad — he wouldn’t say anything. He would yell to motivate, to get points across. But when he was genuinely enraged (and our team could do that to you) he just stared and said nothing and walked away.
Sounds like Flip Saunders.
Saunders just walked off the practice court today according to Bullets Forever, saying later he was unhappy with the team’s effort. He probably could have said the same thing about recent losses to the Cavaliers and Knicks. Without Saunders practice ended as well.
The team will have a second practice on Monday, not open to the media, at 4 p.m. Eastern. Two-a-days in November. That’s a ticked off coach.
Veterans on the 1-4 team were backing Saunders up on this one.
“We are getting ready to get a paycheck on the 15th. And right now I can honestly say y’all are getting a paycheck for nothing. And I can honestly say that,” Josh Howard said.
When Andray Blatche was asked if this was fair, he responded with “what’s our record?”
The fact the players and coach are frustrated and not taking this lying down is a good thing — plenty of NBA teams accept this and just roll over on their way to a 21 win season. That there is a little fight in the Wizards and their coach is a good sign.
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 17
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 5
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 28