The Lakers and 72 wins? Phil Jackson isn’t into it.

Nov 8, 2010, 5:32 PM EST

Image (1) pjackson_finals-thumb-250x140-13332.jpg for post 2458

Before the season the talk was about the Heat and 72 wins, with everybody sane saying it wouldn’t happen and wasn’t worth the effort. But that never stops the talk.

But the Lakers? They are off to a 7-0 start. They look deeper, they have a healthy Kobe Bryant and a rested Pau Gasol and an inspired Lamar Odom. And they haven’t even gotten Andrew Bynum in the fold yet.

Why not the Lakers and 72 wins? Because Phil Jackson isn’t convinced these Lakers play good enough defense, for one. Also, he’s been down that road and knows a lot of things have to fall your way. Here is his quote from via the Daily News.

“In ’92, after the first championship (with the Bulls), I think we’re 46-3 or 43-6, something like that around the All-Star break,” Jackson recalled. “The owner called me up and said, ‘I hope you’re not trying to win the most games ever won in one season.’

“And I said, ‘Well, we have a lot of depth. We have a young team. I’m not trying to wear them out. We’re just trying to use momentum and win games.’

“That team ended up winning 67 games. They had a little letdown at the end of the season. You get a feel like teams know how to win games and know how to turn it on at the end. They know how to expend the right amount of energy to win a ballgame.

“That really happened with the team in ’95-96. They knew how to blow teams out and put them away in the early part of the second period. Everything kind of fell into place for us, also.

“We went on a long road trip and three of the five teams or eight teams we played on that road trip had injuries to players who were important players. We won seven out of eight games on that road trip. Things like that happened.”

There you go. I’m not going to disagree with Phil Jackson.

1. thestudiokida - Nov 8, 2010 at 6:31 PM

The 95-96 Bulls finished 1st in offense AND defense (points per possession). Thats what you have to do to win 70+. Only Miami has the ability to be the best offensive & defensive team but they haven’t clicked yet on offense. Maybe they can approach 70 next season with better chemistry and an additional role player or 2.

• fouldwimmerlaik - Nov 9, 2010 at 4:05 AM

Chris Bosh is hardly a defensive stalwart. He is a chink in the Heat armor of team defense (if they ever have one).

On the other hand, it is more prudent not to claim x number of wins for the Lakers. Too early to tell, but all that matters is getting the 17th banner. Of course, getting the best record helps, regardless of how many wins.

The Cavs got the best season record in the last two years… well you know what happened.

• thestudiokida - Nov 9, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Agreed that Bosh sometimes plays weak defense BUT he has shown improvement this year and has blocked several perimeter shooters. There may be hope for him.

• fouldwimmerlaik - Nov 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM

@thestudiokida: Agreed on his improvement, but given Bosh’s position at 4 and at times at 5, he should be a presence at the paint not at the perimeter.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no hater for any team against the Lakers. I have always believed that if one is to be considered the best team, you have to beat the best opposition. I want the Lakers to sweat it out and work hard for their W’s.

So far LA’s sched is relatively “LAker-friendly” with most of the games at home and mostly against teams that are not relatively on the upper tiers IMHO compared to those who are considered legitimate title contenders. I like what I see but I don’t think it’s enough for me to put up some hated “Laker-swagger.”

Getting 70 wins this season? I could only hope. But considering the opposition and the health of the Lakers, it’s shooting for the stars.

2. henryd3rd - Nov 8, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Let see! Phil Jackson is the coach of the reining NBA Champions. He has how many championship rings? Kobe has how many Chamionship rings and MVP trophies? Now let me ask this. How many rings does the Heat Big Three own between them? All I can say is that until you beat the Champs they are the Champs. All I want for Christmas and is a Lakers romp on National TV

3. fouldwimmerliak - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Face it, the Lakers are too arrogant to win anything.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches