Nov 8, 2010, 3:23 PM EDT
Interesting little note — like there always seems to be — in Sekou Smith’s Hangtime blog at NBA.com.
He heard the Pistons and Hawks were talking a trade: Tayshaun Prince and filler to Atlanta for Jamal Crawford and Jeff Teague.
This actual trade strikes me as not a great move for either side, but there are a few interesting things here.
One is that, as a scout friend of Smith point out, the Pistons need to do something.
“Detroit has to do something,” my scout friend told me. “They’re not going anywhere with the group they have. They know it and everyone else knows it. So Tayshaun or Rip, one or both of them have to be in play if they’re going to start the rebuilding process properly.”
The question really isn’t if they need to do something but when — with the team up for sale and serious talks with Mike Ilitch to take over, would a bold trade move really be likely? Maybe after the sale and closer to the deadline. Smith suggests after Dec. 15, when just signed guys like Will Bynum can be traded. But it may be later than that.
Another point — this trade shows the Hawks have to do something. They just set the families of Joe Johnson and Al Horford up for generations, yet they remain a good step back of the Heat, Celtics and Magic in the East. The Hawks have a small window to jump into the elite conversation with this core, but they’ll have to add to it.
Also, are the Hawks really ready to give up on Jeff Teague? Trading Teague and Crawford would leave the Hawks with Johnson, Mike Bibby and then it gets thin. Frankly, it gets thin with Bibby. The Hawks would still need to address backcourt issues after this move.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80