Nov 8, 2010, 11:15 PM EDT
With less than two minutes to go in Golden State’s win Monday night Monta Ellis took a hard fall on his back under the Toronto basket.
He was down in pain for a couple minutes before he helped up and to the locker room, and X-rays were taken of his back. The results of those will not be available until tomorrow, but Ellis is spending the night in Toronto, according to the team.
The injury came with the Warriors up seven and just 1:12 left in the game. Ellis drove baseline around his man and went up near the rim while both DeMar DeRozan and Amir Johnson came over to help and block the shot. Ellis landed awkwardly, seeming to have his back arched a lot when his legs hit the ground, and he just kind of fell backwards. Watch the video for yourself.
Ellis was the NBA’s leading scorer at 27.8 point per game coming into the contest and he had put up 28 in this one before the injury. Ellis is having his best season by getting to the line more often and draining midrange shots at the best rate of his career. The Warriors see a future in a backcourt with him and Stephen Curry now and are not looking to move him.
Check back tomorrow for updates on Ellis’ condition.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 9
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11