Nov 8, 2010, 3:54 PM EST
It’s certainly a show when the Miami Heat come to town — a high-flying acrobatic circus of shots and athleticism.
Which has led a few to suggest that the Heat are about the show more than anything. That they are showing off.
LeBron James will have none of that, as he told the Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel.
“We’re just an athletic team, just making plays,” James said following practice at American Airlines Arena. “There’s nothing circus about it. Everyone wants to put a ‘Showtime’ or ‘showboating’ on us. Nah, we just made plays. It’s not circus.”
The Heat’s “showboating” dunks and flashy plays tend to come in transition, which is also when they are the most efficient. They are unstoppable in the open court. The Heat need to run more — the more flash, the faster the tempo they play at, the more games they will win. The show will be secondary. But they are not there yet — they are in the bottom five in the league in pace. Frankly, it would be better for them if they ran more and showboat more if that comes with it. Then it really would be all about winning.
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 6
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6