Nov 8, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
It’s a process. An adjustment.
There are moments that make you forget that Miami has really only been playing together for a few weeks, that they are still growing and learning.
But they are 4-2 because they are still learning, because there are nights where it does not all click.
“I was just honest,” Bosh said (of a conversation with LeBron James). “I get a little lost out there because it’s different…”
“I’ve kind of been on my heels for the first part of the season, so I’m starting to figure it out; it’s starting to come to me,” he said after Saturday’s 101-89 victory against the Nets. “But at the end of the day, I just have to be aggressive. That’s what it’s all about…”
“We have a system but at the same time when the game is happening so fast, sometimes I just get lost. I don’t know whether to cut, whether to go, whether to get back and playing with those two talented guys . . . it happens real fast. So, I just let [James] know that.”
In this setting it was expected Bosh would get fewer touches, and he as gone from averaging 16.6 shots per game as option number one in Toronto last season to 11.3 as option number three this season.
But with that should have come more open looks, a better shooting percentage. That hasn’t happened. His traditional field goal percentage has fallen to 45.6 percent from 51.8; his true shooting percentage was 59.1 and is now a pedestrian 54 percent.
Why? He’s not getting as many shots in good spots. He is taking two fewer shots a game right at the rim — the highest percentage shots — while taking only about half a shot less per game from 16 feet out. His shooting from 10 to 15 feet out has fallen from 43.9 percent last year to 33.3 percent this season. (Stats from Hoopdata)
What’s more, teams have started to be very physical with Bosh to take him out of his game and rhythm.
He will come around, he is a quality player. But right now he is a bit tentative and a bit lost. It’s a process.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10