Chris Bosh: “I get a little lost out there.”

Nov 8, 2010, 10:20 AM EST

Bosh_Murphy

It’s a process. An adjustment.

There are moments that make you forget that Miami has really only been playing together for a few weeks, that they are still growing and learning.

But they are 4-2 because they are still learning, because there are nights where it does not all click.

And the guy it is not clicking for most is Chris Bosh. Even he admits it, as he did to the Miami Herald (via Slam).

“I was just honest,” Bosh said (of a conversation with LeBron James). “I get a little lost out there because it’s different…”

“I’ve kind of been on my heels for the first part of the season, so I’m starting to figure it out; it’s starting to come to me,” he said after Saturday’s 101-89 victory against the Nets. “But at the end of the day, I just have to be aggressive. That’s what it’s all about…”

“We have a system but at the same time when the game is happening so fast, sometimes I just get lost. I don’t know whether to cut, whether to go, whether to get back and playing with those two talented guys . . . it happens real fast. So, I just let [James] know that.”

In this setting it was expected Bosh would get fewer touches, and he as gone from averaging 16.6 shots per game as option number one in Toronto last season to 11.3 as option number three this season.

But with that should have come more open looks, a better shooting percentage. That hasn’t happened. His traditional field goal percentage has fallen to 45.6 percent from 51.8; his true shooting percentage was 59.1 and is now a pedestrian 54 percent.

Why? He’s not getting as many shots in good spots. He is taking two fewer shots a game right at the rim — the highest percentage shots — while taking only about half a shot less per game from 16 feet out. His shooting from 10 to 15 feet out has fallen from 43.9 percent last year to 33.3 percent this season. (Stats from Hoopdata)

What’s more, teams have started to be very physical with Bosh to take him out of his game and rhythm.

He will come around, he is a quality player. But right now he is a bit tentative and a bit lost. It’s a process.

1. zblott - Nov 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

That would help explain why the team with the most talent is only 2nd in the latest Power Rankings:

2. thestudiokida - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Early in the season Miami has lacked aggression on offense. Bosh looks like just another guy shooting jump shots, but made more aggressive moves against the Nets resulting in a couple dunks. They’re still fun to watch but I wish they’d pick up the pace a little. They’re 25th in the league in pace with 91.5 possessions per game.

3. metalhead65 - Nov 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I know it’s early but stop making excuses for these clowns. they brought on all this hype and early or not they should live up to it. I don’t want to hear why they are not living up to it or that they will or the expectations are to high. I am sure it’s tough for them and all what with “only” making 15 million a year but deal with it and don’t expect any sympathy from anybody but your loyal subjects who think they are entitled to a championship without having to earn it. and as much as I hate the lakers at least their team has won enough that their fans can feel that way without sounding arrogant like the clowns in south beach.

4. zackd22 - Nov 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM

What’s his excuse for his 1-rebound game?

5. fouldwimmerliak - Nov 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM

He still looks like ET

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches